Pot/Cap Values for a Tele with a Lollar Firebird (N) and Kinman Broadcaster (B)?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Ancient Rocker, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

Hi All!
    I'm upgrading /hotrodding my CS Alder Tele and installing a Lollar Firebird in the neck and a Kinman Broadcaster in the Bridge. I'm collecting opinions on the correct pot/cap values to use in order to get the most out of each pup.

500K = Nice for the Firebird...but too bright for the Kinman?
    250K = Nice for the Kinman...but too dark for the Firebird?

How about a 375K Fender Alpha Pot with a .033uf cap to split the difference? OR...has anyone tried a Kinman Broadcaster pup at 500K OR a Lollar Firebird at 250K?

OR...do I go with the higher pot value and a .047uf cap...OR the lower pot value and a .022uf cap?

What have you experienced?? Thanks!

2. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Situation like this, the only way you're gonna know is to try all the options - there's likely a bit of compromise to be expected given the pickups chosen, and you are the only person who can make that call.

It's rewarding, as well as fun, so...

3. g-mane

g-mane Member

With a full-size humbucker in the neck and a beefy single (both Zhangbucker) in the bridge of my Tele, I'm using 500k volume and 250k tone, with a .022 cap. Works for me. YMMV

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. FreeFrog

FreeFrog Member

Use the highest value (500k) and if a pu is too bright, solder a resistor to ground in parallel, between the hot point of this too bright PU and the ground... :) with a 500k volume and a 250k control, it will be a 500k resistor. With two 500k pots, it will be a 250k.
    And yes, it works. :)

5. Oldmanpoop

Oldmanpoop Member

What about phase issues? I'm doing the same thing in a pinecaster, except with a fender bridge pup. Are they out of phase and require different wiring?

6. g-mane

g-mane Member

Oldman, it depends on the pickups. If they are out of phase, you can flip the humbucker's magnet and all's right again.

7. Oldmanpoop

Oldmanpoop Member

Flip it? Do you mean just reverse its position in the pickguard?

8. g-mane

g-mane Member

9. Oldmanpoop

Oldmanpoop Member

Wow, very informative. Thanks!

10. Oldmanpoop

Oldmanpoop Member

Put mine in the neck with 250k pots and. 047 orange drop. Sounds incredible. Not sure I want/need to change the current pot values. Very happy.