Pot froze up and lubricated to free up any consequences?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jh45gun, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Ok the Bogen MX60 I am currently working on for a guitar amp (just changing a couple of inputs to high impedence and changing jacks ect) had really dirty pots so I sprayed them with CRC QD electronic cleaner. Today I noticed the first mic vol pot froze up as I was turning it so I sprayed it with Tri Flow Teflon lubricant which did free it up. Is there any issues with using this to free up the pot?

2. Structo

Structo Member

I wouldn't use any lube that is not designed for pots.
    A lot of that stuff like WD-40 for example will gum up, attract dirt, etc.
    I would use one of Craig's Deoxit products made for electronics.
    I believe they sell one that cleans and lubricates.

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Thats why I used the CRC electronic cleaner as I felt it was made for electronics. The can says it cleans and protects. Evidently protects is not the same thing as lubricates.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Protects is not the same as lubricates. Find an electronics cleaner that also lubricates, and use that to clean pots.

5. brad347

brad347 Member

Caig F5 FaderLube

6. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

OK Adam I called Radio Shack as they are about the only local place that sells such items and they have one that says for tuners, volume and tone controls ect and it says on the can cleans and lubricates. They are out of it but getting some in next week. Now back to the origional question will spraying that pot with that teflon lube to free it up hurt anything? Jim

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The teflon lube shouldn't harm the pot but I would give it a quick spray with the CRC after using it to clean up any residuals.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  8. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Maybe I should just wait until I buy some of that Radio Shack stuff that cleans and lubricates and give all the pots a spray again along with the slider switches.

9. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Wait and use the right stuff. The problem with some spray lubricants is that they actually will gum up or even freeze a pot. Without knowing which teflon lube you want to use and what is in it, I wouldn't recommend it. Using the correct stuff will make the pot work better, and actually prolong it's life. Since you already used the teflon stuff, I would wait until you get the correct stuff, then spray it first with the no residue stuff, then spray it with the correct cleaner with lubricant. Should be fine.

10. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

That's the thing though. It's not frozen anymore. It's whether the lube is doing damage.

If this was before the lube was sprayed, I would agree to change the pot.

12. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Where I live the only way to get parts is to Order them online and shipping cost would jack up the price so it is not a 3 dollar part anymore. The local tech I go to has some parts but normally most are squirreled away and it takes him too much time to find them. I will respray it with the proper stuff and it if works fine if not it will get changed but I would prefer to try it first.