1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

POT to KOT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ezcletus, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

I've been using a POT and just recently picked up a KOT normal gain. Tele into Vox AC15C1. Really digging the KOT. It replaced 3 other od's.:cool:

cletus

hippieboy likes this.
  2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

3. Blackguard13

Blackguard13 Member

Man I should be up to get mine in a few months. So Stoked! Gonna get mine in black to match the rest of the board:cool:

4. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

KOT is love! enjoy it!

trap and MrMoose like this.
  5. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

I have the POT. Been curious about upgrading to the KoT recently.

I know it’s been discussed before, but since you’re the latest convert... I’ll ask... is it REALLY that much different?

More times than not when I use an OD pedal with 2 sides... I end up only using one side anyway...

6. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

kind of like the Timmy to the Tim?
    dont have POT but the KOT is pretty cool. the two sides cascade into each other very well.
    i have the Hot red channel model.
    its not that hot, but it sounds great. you can set a dirtyish tone and boost that, or a dirty tone and boost that!
    depends what side you make the grind and what side you use to push it !!

7. oansun

oansun Member

Well, is there a 2+ year wait on the Prince of Tone?

8. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Yeah, but that is not because one sounds different than the other. The POT is made in China and just doesn’t have the same cache as the KOT. The POT is perceived as a lower quality pedal relative to the KOT both in tone and build quality. And I assume they can make the POT faster than the KOT.

And “perceived” is the operable word here

9. oansun

oansun Member

IDK man, I guess. I've never heard anyone say that about the POT

10. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

Boldaslove 1977 - running the red side and then using the yellow side for a dirty boost is one of the best lead tones I've ever had. I typically don't like dual channel pedals but this one stays. I got it last week then played it with the band over the weekend and it sits perfect in the mix. Ymmv.

Cletus

boldaslove1977 likes this.
  11. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

BTW - the POT is awesome.

12. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

My name came up recently on the KOT.

I own the POT and it is definitely NOT a low build quality pedal - I understand you didn't say it but I just wanted to put that out there.

I'll probably order the KOT tonight actually and plan on getting the normal gain version and keeping the POT for the higher gain needs and just because I like the pedal.

pula58 likes this.
  13. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

Mike R - I have the normal gain version and can't imagine needing more gain. Different strokes tho. I also kept my POT just cause.

Mike R. likes this.
  14. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Right. I think people just assume it is a lower build quality because it is made overseas. I would have no way of knowing that and I've never--not once--heard anyone have an issue with a POT. And there must be thousands of those little guys floating out there. For all I know, they might hold up better than the KOT.

15. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

One very important thing about the KOT that most people don't take into account is that, It WONT change drastically your sound, that means that if you don't particulary like your amp it won't help change that, on the other hand if you love your amp, in most cases it's gonna sound even better.

16. trap

trap Supporting Member

To my memory, they do sound different from one another. And the POT doesn’t have the yellow side which to my ears sounds different from the red. I know, I know, they’re the same! Not to me.
    And then there was that comparison on That Pedal Show. The POT had a bit more midrange to it.
    Ultimately it depends on how picky you are. They are close.
    Buuuuuttt...... picky picky picky!

17. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

That's exactly why I like it!

hippieboy likes this.
  18. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

POT sounds to my ear identical to KOT if you set the knobs by ear instead of by sight.

analogmike likes this.
  19. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

yup me too! And also that it plays nice with all the amps and guitars I've tried so far.

Mike R. likes this.
  20. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I kind of wish they'd come out with a "Squier of Tone" in the mini pedal format.

analogmike, Mike R. and Sacrifice like this.