pot value in gibby historic

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by beatlebob, Jul 28, 2008.

1. beatlebob

beatlebob Active Member

does anyone know what value the volume pots would be in a current R8? when i roll down im not getting the chime i would like to have (amp is an AC15). my historic SG and LP special both have a crisper, cleaner, BRIGHTER sound with volume rolled back.
    thanks in advance!

2. beatlebob

beatlebob Active Member

bumpski. come on now. someone help me

3. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Mine is a few years old, it has 500k's. I also have '57, '59 & '60 RI's, they have 500k's too.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Try a high-pass network on the volume controls(s). A .001uf cap and 220K ohm resistor in parallel across the left and wiper teminals of the post will do it and even out the taper of your pots at the same time.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

they're likely 500k linear tapers, which don't "clean up" a crunchy amp when turned down as well as 500k audio tapers. i would try that first, then do the little RC thing across the lugs. (.001uF might be too big, maybe a .0005uF would be just right. my marshall jmp hates any cap on there, and my paul cleans up just fine without it.)

6. beatlebob

beatlebob Active Member

thanks. ill try taper pots

7. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

You might also want to check the wiring. I've looked into 2 different Historics cavities and read on a few forums that the caps are wired the modern way. The 50's style wiring helps retain some of the highs as you roll down the volume knob (and sometimes even makes your tone brighter as you roll the vol knob down).

8. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

If I can remember correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) All Custom Shop Les Pauls come with 500k Audio for volume and tone. The USA factory uses those awful 300k Linear pots for the volume and 500k Audio for the tone.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

almost. the historics are currently coming with 500k linear volumes and 500k audio tones.