• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Potential Shop Mishap?

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Silver Supporting Member
Nobody's fault. You obviously understood the potential risks of taking it out in this weather and tried to mitigate that, but there's no way to assess blame. You took a risk and it didn't work out somewhere along the line. Sometimes, sh*t just happens.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I brought a Guild acoustic into my local shop for a setup. It's a small mom and pop here in Minnesota. It is -10 outside so I warmed up my car, made sure a humidipak was in the hard case and went off to the shop. My front door to the car was 5 seconds and my car to the shop was 10 seconds. I am certain the top of the guitar was crack free when I left my house. At the shop, the woman opened the case and a minute or so later I noticed a crack. I did not direct her to open the case, she just opened it. Generally, when a guitar changes environments, I make sure to leave the case closed so it can acclimate; particularly in an extreme environment like a Minnesota winter.

I am pretty darn sure the crack occurred when she opened the case; knowing guitars, that's what makes sense.

Am I at fault here or am I correct in talking to the owner and expecting him to make it right? It's a guitar shop so I kinda expect the employees there to know how to handle guitars.

What do you guys think?
Nah

CanuckChris

I am at fault here but I am 100 percent positive that the crack was not there before I left my house.

Could be that the crack had started, you just couldn't see it yet. Take it for a jostling ride to the guitar shop and that's enough to make it noticeable. In any case, sounds like you've resolved to just get the crack fixed and move on. Hope they do a good job of the repair :aok

The Fool

Isn't it the sudden presence of cold, not heat, that causes a sudden crack? I've lived in climates similar to the -10 temps you are experiencing today and I've actually heard a guitar's finish audibly crack like what you're describing, but it was from a sudden blast of cold air. (Actually there are relicing videos online where people spray guitars with extremely cold air to crack the finish on purpose and you can hear the snap crackle and pop)

*edit - maybe you meant the whole top cracked and not the finish, I was thinking about a Guild semi-hollow electric in my mind, for some reason.

Yup, whole top cracked from the bridge to the back of the guitar where a sound jack would be on an electric. It cracked right along the grain in a straight line. Definitely a crack in the wood and not just a finish crack. I wouldn't give a **** about a finish crack, i actually kind of like em.

krimson

IMO the shop has to open it in your presence to ensure they take position of an instrument that has no other damage or issue than what you’ve explained. They have to cover their own asses. The case could be empty for all they know.

COYS

Yup, whole top cracked from the bridge to the back of the guitar where a sound jack would be on an electric. It cracked right along the grain in a straight line. Definitely a crack in the wood and not just a finish crack. I wouldn't give a **** about a finish crack, i actually kind of like em.

Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised I've never had to deal with an acoustic crack with the weather around here... probably have just gotten lucky.

Surfreak

Thank you for clarifying that it is a crack in the wood and not just the finish.

This further indicates that the shop is not at fault. Given the scenario that you described, it is quite likely that such crack would have occurred even if they waited hours before opening the case.

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
You took a guitar in for some work but they weren’t supposed to open the case? If I were that store I would never accept a guitar before looking at it first. It would be like renting a car and not checking for dents

fingertip

Squier to the Grand Funk
Platinum Supporting Member
The 'minus ten degrees' sometimes ...sometimes means a drop in humidity. I don't know but it's a problem around here...

hqdefault.jpg

Astronaut FX

Silver Supporting Member
I’m sorry this happened, but you took a risk, and it didn’t go so well. It’s not up to anyone else to make it right.

CRBMoA

It is quite obviously the fault of the shop for not opening the case to inspect the item before they opened the case to inspect the item.

If they really cared, the would have just made a house call and avoided the whole situation.

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
If you were that worried you should have told them to wait
It went from your warm house to your warm car to a warm store and it cracked
Wasn’t sitting in a cold truck it didn’t have time to crack
Let it go
Cracks happen

dank

Consummate Beatles Fan
Gold Supporting Member
If you were that worried you should have told them to wait
It went from your warm house to your warm car to a warm store and it cracked
Wasn’t sitting in a cold truck it didn’t have time to crack
Let it go
Cracks happen

So, Crack is like sh*t. It happens.

fitz

it is possible for that to happen or maybe you just did not notice it until it got under a different light condition. It is a shame either way.
My thought as well. I notice different cracks, dents just taking may guitars out of their normal environment.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom