Potential singer doesn't have a car

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sanrico, Nov 14, 2017.

1. sanrico

sanrico Member

Looking through Craigslist ads for a singer and found one in our age range, who sings our style. We've heard him before and he's very good.

However, there's a problem. What should we do? Here's his ad:

Hi! I'm a 45-Year-Old Rock Singer.

Hi there. I'll give you the plus sides, and the possible minus sides, of having me sing in your band. I'm doing this because I remember the frustration of trying out new band members in past years, so I feel for ya.

I've received plenty of joke responses, by the way -- so if you reply just to mess with me, you're not being original. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

I'll actually cover the possible cons first:

I don't own a P.A. anymore. My last one died after many years of use.

I'm not interested in an all-cover band. I'll understand if we have to play a few covers, but I mostly like to sing originals, whether I write them or not.

I don't have a car. This is completely by choice. It's not about the money. I just like to walk, so having a car would be a waste, especially since I'm single and have no kids (again, this is on purpose). You might be within walking distance, however, and I have no problem walking to rehearsal. I live off Irving, on the West Side. Otherwise, it might be a drag to pick me up for practice.

If you're still reading, here are the pros:

I sing extremely well, with 20+ years of stage experience in Albuquerque and other cities. I sang back-up while drumming during most of that time, but I was better than our lead singer. (There's no reason to be modest at the moment, right?) I sang back-up because I didn't want to drum and sing lead at the same time.

I've written and recorded my own songs for many years. I'm a good collaborator, but I'm also good at not changing others' songs if they should be left the way they are.

My ego never gets in the way. I take music more seriously than I take myself.

I'm good-humored and cooperative.

I don't drink or use drugs. I try to be tolerant toward others, however, since I smoke cigarettes (outdoors -- I'm aware that a lot of people don't like the smoke. Whenever I join a band, I cut way down, so my throat stays strong).

If necessary, I can also play keyboards and guitar. At the moment, I own an acoustic Fender guitar and a full-sized Casio keyboard. If playing an instrument isn't needed, I have no problem sticking to vocals only.

I'm fit. I like to exercise. Energy is never a problem.

Thanks for reading this! Whether it's me or someone else, I hope you find someone you like. Break a leg!

2. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I think your opinion based on having heard/seen him should outweigh the fact that he doesn't have a car. Whatever that opinion might be.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    marktweedy, mojah, aynirar27 and 8 others like this.
  3. R2112

R2112 Member

Been there, and it's a drag. Played once with a singer who I had to pick up at the Metro station (DC area), which was totally on the way to the practice location. But when he was late, due to missing a train, then I was late too.

Besides the fact that anyone at the age of 45 that doesn't even own a $1500 beater car to get from point A to point B, likely has other issues. Not to be judgmental -- if you were saying this was a response for a band of musicians trying to do this for a living, it would be another story -- but it's true.

But the ad should speak for itself. You didn't say what you were looking for in terms of cover/original. So his disclaimer about covers may be a non-starter in itself.

yakyak, rydogg_sc2 and PBGas like this.
  4. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

5. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Practice might be walking distance, but what about gigs?

Unless he's Roger Daltrey reincarnated, I'd pass.

fretless, Gasp100, InkStained and 3 others like this.
  6. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

His ad makes him sound like a pretty cool guy and down to earth. You say he has talent, that definitely counts for something . If he can get himself to rehearsal, no harm no foul. If you guys have to go out of your way to cart him around, that would be an issue if it was me.

massacre, Wildhawk1, zenfreud and 3 others like this.
  7. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I was in a band with a singer who didn't have a car. He was also like 15 years older than me and didn't have a job. Most people figure out how to get a job around 16-17 years old (or younger) to get money to do things like buy a car. I couldn't figure out why someone in their late 30s couldn't figure it out. Did his wife give him an allowance?? What if he wanted a cheeseburger.

He was a good singer and frontman and otherwise pretty easy to deal with, but not having transportation was a huge pain in the ass. It's not like anyone is going to go out of their way to help a 40 year old rockstar get to practice and gigs.

If the band is gigging a lot then you won't need a ton of rehearsals, but you guys will still have to find a way to get him to/from gigs. Unless he's Freddie Mercury it's probably not worth the trouble.

tabb74 likes this.
  8. clarkram

clarkram Member

The guy will end up being more trouble than he's worth. No transportation, no gear (Casio keys fender acoustic? No offense intended) not worth the hassle, and there will be hassles.

9. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Supporting Member

I liked the honesty in the ad, he comes off as genuine, sure of himself, but not too cocky. The car issue maybe an issue, without knowing the logistics it is hard to say. I would say for myself, having read the ad, I would not be turned off to working with him, but I can understand the trepidation.

ant_riv, chrisjw5, Gevalt and 7 others like this.
  10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

There's something not right with a 45 year old with no transportation.

His comment about his PA dying doesn't make sense. PAs are made of many components. They don't just all die at once.

He sounds like an underachieving bum to me. Regardless whether he can sing or not, people like that aren't worth the hassle. He'll be bumming rides and probably money. Not a chance I'd go with him.

11. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Having once been in a band with a singer with no car, and being his transportation to most practices, I’d advise against it. Now if he has no car, and is willing to be responsible for getting himself to practice, that’s different. But from what you pasted of his ad, he seems that clearly expect chauffeuring.

12. -alex

-alex Member

exactly - not having a car is less of a problem now.

Give him a shot, contingent on him reliably showing up. I have had plenty of band members with a car who were flaky.

13. standard24

standard24 Member

The lead singer for our corporate event band (13 years now) doesn't drive. She makes up for it by being an incredible singer. (Opened many San Antonio Spurs games singing SSB).

ant_riv, 27sauce and EricPeterson like this.
  14. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

The best bass player I ever played with did not have a car or an amp!

I was totally cool with it because it was never my problem. I didn't live anywhere near him, nor did I have an amp to loan him.

He was always there, so somebody took up the responsibility of getting him.

I just enjoyed the deep grooves and stellar background vocals.

15. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Exactly.. for me, it would depend entirely on his working it out..
    IF he’s sitting around just waiting for someone to pick him up that’s a different thing than him taking the responsibility to get where he needs to be.

massacre, sportycliff and 27sauce like this.
  16. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

It's easy to do a background check, or at least spend an hour on google, just to see if there are hints of loss of license, jail time, etc.... very difficult to imagine any adult not having a car by choice, without some kind of compulsion from the court system, especially in wide open spaces like Nuevo Mejico. But it can happen. If I moved to Eugene OR I could easily survive with a bicycle and no car.

On the other hand, you have nothing to lose by meeting, talking, and letting him sing. Maybe he's the next undiscovered Steve Perry. Your very first clue will be if he shows up to the audition on time. It can be done, and gigs can easily involve car pooling anyway if they are outside the city limits. At least that way you know for sure he will show up. If he's a great singer then it would be worth car pooling anyway. Great singers who show up are not all that easy to find.

Let him sing, you have nueva nada to lose.....

17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

18. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

No car? Okay, how about a motorcycle? A bicycle? Uber? Damn, dude could ride a skateboard for all I care, but he's got to find his own way.

If his reply is legit, he's cool for being very honest and open. Doesn't sound like a bad guy, but I'd have a raised eyebrow if he were in my region and on my radar as a potential band member. I'd need more info before moving ahead.

19. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Red flag. I'd pass.

mcuguitar and hansgruber like this.
  20. mistercharlie

mistercharlie Member

If you don’t own a car you’re either mentally deficient, or a criminal? You’d only ever hear this in the U.S.

Gevalt, Angeln, jbraun002 and 16 others like this.