Potentially Great Gibson Buyer News

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hathisisfunnyha, Jan 28, 2008.

1. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I was in Centre City Music this past week and was talking with Saul and it looks as though he is going to be one of the lucky few to once again sell and picture his Gibson supply online.

Hope your credit cards are all paid up, because he has some of the best selection and is just a good guy all around

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

If I was Donald trump with all the money in the world I wouldn't buy a New Gibson. The only good Gibson is a used one. :horse

3. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

you obviously haven't seen some of the Historic stuff he ends up with

Top Notch

4. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

+1

I'm still trying to come up with an excuse to buy something from there. Great prices, too.

:dude

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

Saul has great prices, for sure. I've talked with him several times on the phone and even visited his shop this past December. I've always left with a bad taste in my mouth, however. The place feels like a used car dealership.

"You don't want this J-100? How bout a J-200? Or this SG?"

"Well, don't forget that we're a Marshall dealer!"

6. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Saul is as good as they come. Nobody has ever beaten his pricing or service on ANY Gibson I have ever bought . That's not to say I haven't bought elsewhere, but I always call Saul last to see if he has what I'm looking for in stock.

He's as cool as the other side of the pillow. Genuine too.

7. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

please post a link when available

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Old school That goes for any brand of guitar. It's the money that becomes the issue. I'd possibly buy a Fender new,but it would be a cheapy. In fact, I bought one new guitar in my life,(and I have had about 15 guitars in my life), that was in 1972-3 and I bought an SJ Delux acoustic. Funny, for about $80-100 more I could have bought the Hummingbird. Many just have to buy new. But used, there is character. ANd I can't stand the special care we give too new and how that first dent feels. For me, Used is usually better.

9. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

I agree teleman1..Ive owned new and used and I always prefer the feel on a good used guitar. I guess Im not good at breaking in a guitar.

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

True......But if I had a Ton of Ca$h I'd seriously consider some Fender Custom Shop Goodness. I'd do me an Anderson, a Trussart, I'm open to them all........But I'll never give the Gibson Guitar Corporation a dime of my money. I'm sure ole Henry isn't losing any sleep over it. But its a personal issue for me. [​IMG]

11. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Saul is a salesman through and through. He goes above and beyond to find the guitar for you. But unlike a car salesman who gets upset when you don't purchase a car and holds a grudge, Saul is happy to have you come back with the hope that you might buy one of his Murphy 59's one day. I know since I've almost bought a 58 and a 60 from him and decided against it, just cause of timing.

His pricing is unbeatable by any dealer standard

12. justonwo

justonwo Member

True enough. Definitely true about the pricing. And that's why I keep coming back to him. I just can't bring myself to follow through . . .

13. teleman1

Old School, If you had a ton of cash, you'd be owning the Collings Les Paul & 335 models. I have heard the Les Paul and it smoked a $3500 used Gold top Les Paul. I really don't think there are guitars better than Collings at the moment. Maybe equal, but not better. Collings don't realease them unless they are Godly,IMHO. ANd get this, I haven't even played their acoustics and thats where this guys noteriety comes from.

14. teleman1

What sounds good about Saul is that he probably picks them and knows how to sweatly tweak them. I hope Gibson goes back to that, otherwise I think they loose popularity. GUitar players always knew a shop that carried Gibson was a step up. Guitar Center Philosphy took that quality away from us,especially with Gibson, they don't seem as special anymore and Fender sure seems a whole lot better.

15. 03hal

03hal Member

The only thing that saved me was moving to San Francisco, and I'm still buying from him. Saul is top-notch.

PS- and if you're lucky enough to be in town, have him hold that new guitar while you grab lunch at Lucy's.

16. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

I've bought many guitars from Saul. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

two ES-175s
    CS 63 Block 335
    CS-336
    Koa top 356
    L-4
    L-5 CES
    CS 57 LP Black Beauty

... probably a few more. I live on Long Island, and when I call, he knows who I am. Occasionally, Saul will actually call me when something comes in that I might be interested in. He has offered to buy back guitars he sold me in FULL when there was something I was interested in. Once, I bought a 335 from him and right before he shipped it, I called him to kill the deal (don't remember why...) and he gave me absolutely no problem.

He's made arrangements for the Gibson factory to drop-ship a guitar directly to my house, overnight. And his prices can't be matched.

I'm sure there are other great dealers out there (Wildwood, etc.) I've also done a lot of business with the Music Zoo here in NY. Great folks.

The primary thing for me is how the guitar is kept by the store. Most of the Gibsons hanging on the wall in the local GC look great as you walk into the store. Get a little closer, and you see that they are new guitars, with price tags on them with full retail prices. Pick one up and inevitably you'll see dings, scratches, corrosion, missing strings, poor setups...

I like places that keep some control over who touches the instrument before I buy it as a "new" piece. Saul will ship a guitar across the country and it will look, smell, and feel brand new when I open the box.

17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

What`s really sad is there are great Gibson Dealers and some great luthiers at Gibson, but it`s still Henry Jerkawicks at the top. So until that changes I`m not buying any more Gibsons! (past owner of Custom Shop Johnny A, Pat Martino,Firebird, ES-345, J-45,etc.)

18. 777

777 Member

Saul special ordered an R7 for me. Once he got it, he sent pictures of it to me before shipping it. Then he called me & asked me what I thought of it. Once I approved, only then did he ship it.

After I recieved it, he called me the same day & asked me if it got there okay. I told him that I hadn't opened it yet because it was cold & I wanted to let the guitar acclimate. So he called me the next day to see if I was satisfied with it.

That's caring about your customer! All the while, he was incredibly friendly and helpful.

And his prices were great!

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

CCM will have to upgrade their website, though. There is little info on it now.