potentially stupid whammy bar question

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Dustin, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Dustin

Dustin Supporting Member

I have always had a problem with the G string going out of tune whenever I use my whammy bar. I'm not talking about dive bombs or anything like that, just vibrato and whole step bends. The other strings seem to stay in tune pretty well, it's mostly just the G string.

It doesn't matter what guitar it is, I've had the same problem with several guitars. I've had ones with Fender bridges, Wilkinson, locking tuners, Floyd Rose, etc. still the same problem.

Am I not stretching the strings out enough when I restring?

2. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

I'm sorry that my response isn't entirely going to be helpful - but if you weren't stretching your strings enough, I'd imagine that all of your strings would go out, not just one of them (or that the string that goes out might vary over time).

3. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

(the Floyd example notwithstanding)...are you sure its not getting stuck on the nut? Do you hear a "ping" sound when tuning it or using the tremolo when the guitar is unamplified?

secondly, do you experiment with different gauge strings? If the nuts' not cut for the gauge you're using it could stick...just a couple thoughts.

4. jhczar

jhczar Supporting Member

5. Dustin

Dustin Supporting Member

thanks for the replies everyone.

splatt:

The two main guitars I am using right now are a 56 relic Strat and a Don Grosh; both have a straight string pull and string tree.

I had a Strat Plus for many years which gave me the same problem, and it had locking tuners and no string tree and that Tremsetter device in the trem cavity.

Spencerbk: That's what I thought as well, but I'm sort of out of ideas as to what the problem is.

1-take-wonder: I know what you are talking about. I really don't get that much from just 'regular' use. I'm constantly retuning when I'm playing, so it doesn't get too far out of tune at any one time. I've always used either 9's or 10's, so I think the nut is cut for these gages. Do you think I should have a pro look at the nut and possibly widen the slots slightly?

jhczar: thanks for the link

sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but I'm really trying to train my ear and it's hard to do playing out of tune.

6. K-man

K-man Member

The string is probably binding in the nut. Try lubing the nut slots and string tree. I use GraphitALL by GHS because its white. There are also a number of graphite lubes, or you can even use hard soap.

7. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

I would try the graphite on both the nut and the string tree before I got out the files. If you hear it pinging its sticking though. G strings can take alot of abuse (let the jokes begin) depending on your playing style. With me they're getting bent up as part of a double stop riff quite often (a la any country song on the radio right now) or the Hendrixy unison thing so I find that I'm truing up the tuning on that string too.

A classical playing friend once laughed at me and said "you rock guys are always tuning, either you can't string or you can't play your guitar, which is it?"...I suppose it could be inconsistent fretting pressure also.

...try the graphite.

8. The G string is the "crossover" point in the tempering of the guitar, and
    usually gives the most tuning problems, whammy bar or not.

The problem with the G string is often that people tend to tune it sharp -
    it should be tuned a little flatter than you think - the Peterson strobe
    tuner has special setting for guitar temperament which tunes the G string
    several cents flat, and it makes all the difference.

Try experimenting with tuning your G string a little flatter than you are
    used to, and see if that makes a difference after whammy bar use.