pots and cap for a LP Junior

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Vishnu, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I was thinking CTS audio 500 for volume..that OK?

and what's "best" ya think for a Junior tone pot and cap... 0.22 OK for cap?

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

.022 is the typical value. If you go lower, you might find more useful tones out of the full range of the tone control.
    I like .015 with gibson humbuckers.

(spam I know, but whatcha gonna do.)

(You'll get yellow carded by a moderator for spam

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

lower..what value...?

are you saying that IF I GO LOWER THAN .22 I SHOULD HAVE A BROADER RANGE OF TONES?
    oops cap lock :)

what is the trade off with the lower value?

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

If you stick with .022, you might not find yourself using the sound of the tone knob all the way rolled down. If you have a lower value, like .015, the sound with the tone rolled all the way down would be more useful. Should be exactly the same with the tone full up.

I have a .015 in the neck and .012 in the bridge of my DOT. The bridge pickup with tone rolled all the way down is a cool 70's cocked wah tone. Before the swap, it was just a muddy-ish jazzy tone, and was much better on 2-3 than on 1/zero.

I can still get the jazzy thump with the neck pickup tone roll off.

5. americananalog

americananalog Member

A good rule of thumb for capacitor values, clean tones work well with lower cap values, and the more dirt you plan to use the higher the value you'll want to go with.

I play with tons of distortion/fuzz and I'm using a .047uf (reads at .056uf) and could go higher.
    My other guitar has a neck humbucker that I like for cleans, it works great with a .012uf.

6. upfrontguitars

upfrontguitars Member

500K CTS audio taper pots and a good paper-in-oil .022 capacitor will do the trick. Or even an orange drop film capacitor which will run you all of $2. Some guys sell versions of CTS pots that are special tight tolerance for the taper and resistance. These are usually a good idea too.

7. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Don't waste your money on paper in oil caps or any other expensive caps. Value is what really matters. I like .022 for the bridge and .015 for the neck. But you should experiment with different values if you can.

I can't say what value you should use for volume pots as I don't have any guitars with p90s.