Pots for P-90's in an LP. 250K or 500K?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rod, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Wondering what folks use for pot values for P-90's. I have a 50's Tribute LP that's dull in the high end...pots?

2. dazco

dazco Member

I have a lp jr special with the same pickups. (fender rep told me they only make one P90 that goes in all P90 gibsons) Not sure if the pots are the same as yours, but it came with horrible 300k pots with a funky taper and replacing them IMO is essential. I tried 500k and put a temporary switch in the cavity that adds or removes a 470k resistor in parallel with the pot so i could leave the rear cover off and reach in any time and go from 250k to 500k. Strapping a 470k across the pot halfs the value. (well very close anyways) So i could reach in and go from 500k to 250k as often as i liked. Left it like that for months and i found i eventually left it as 500k because more often than not 250k sounded too dull. Whether you use a switch or not, you could change the pots out to 500 and solder and unsolder it as you want to try the 2 different values. Then if you decide 250k is better just leave the resistor in. If u prefer 500k, remove it. That way no need to buy a second pot and switch it out. The taper will still be good if you leave the resistor in, but I bet you end up preferring the 500k anyways.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Dazco... Yea, they are the 300K pots on that circuit board and they have terrible taper and added dullness when you turn the vol. pot down at all... I'll go with some 500K's and wire it 50's style.....

4. edward

edward Supporting Member

When I had P90s, same experience: 50s wiring helped one increment; good. Then tried some real 500k pots and that was the next step that got me where I wanted. FWIW, I spec'd out the old vol pots and sure enough, the Gibby pots were in the ~300k ohm neighborhood.

There is rarely ever one solution for all cases, but more-often-than-not, unless you've got a particularly bright guit/amp setup, I've found LPs tend to prefer 500k(ish) vol pots.

Edward

5. newsonghawaii

newsonghawaii Member

I had a 50's Tribute LP Gold Top, put in RS 500k Superpots for the volumes for a big improvement in both clarity and taper. Also think about changing out those little ceramic tone capacitors for orange drops or reasonably priced paper in oil caps!

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

^^^^^
    This!
    +100

7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Unless it's a really bright P90 (and those do exist...) 500s all the way.
    Heck, even the Epi Wildkat that has an extra 500k for a master volume sucks off all the high end.