1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pots too close to one another?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by alanfc, Jan 3, 2006.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

hi,
    I need to shift my volume knob down just a bit on my Strat.

I see there's atleast an inch between the middle pot and the volume pot... If I shift the volme pot down a 1/2-2/3" or so, is there electrical interference/problems of any kind if they're too close. ?
    Thanks

2. Bloodspoint

Bloodspoint Member

I personally like the knob where it is on a Strat, but lots of people, especially with bigger hands, agree with you that it's too close.
    Some take the middle pot out altogether, move the volume down one spot, and wire the bottom pot as a master volume. Or, you can drill a new hole and move it back just a little. As long as the wiring is long enough, and you don't let any wires or lugs touch, you should be fine.

3. alanfc

alanfc Member

aha thanks,
    thats what I was looking for, as long as they don't touch...
    cool thanks

4. alanfc

alanfc Member

SUCCESS !

I did it. I'm not so tech gifted you see..
    Anyway I bought myself a Half INCH. Huge difference. Put the regular Fender vol knob back on there and removed the knob for the middle tone. Makes space for my pinky for turning down quickly for my version of "clean".

5. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

To keep things looking nice I order strat pickgaurds from WD Music Products with no pot holes in them and drill the holes where I want them.They'll make them up any way you want them.I have ordered them with no PU holes and put two P90's in them also.

6. alanfc

alanfc Member

Thanks, I'll get to that eventually I'm sure. My work ain't pretty thats for sure but it sounds right :)

7. alanfc

alanfc Member

Thanks, I'll get to that eventually I'm sure. My work ain't pretty thats for sure but it sounds right :)