Potted vs. Unpotted: Harmonic content, Swirl, Openness, Pinch Harmonics

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe if all I was doing was playing mellow clean tones at home levels I'd see the benefits of unpotted. But my experience has been they squeal like mad with nasty uncontrollable feedback at any real gig volume levels.

Seth L

Maybe if all I was doing was playing mellow clean tones at home levels I'd see the benefits of unpotted. But my experience has been they squeal like mad with nasty uncontrollable feedback at any real gig volume levels.
I've got an Orange TH30 and a couple of stacked overdrive pedals and haven't had any problems yet. I doubt unpotted pickups work well for metal, though.

Gary_

I've only got one guitar with unpotted and they do sound lovely but I wouldn't gig it..... The one occasion I tried, dogs 4 streets away were in pain due to the squeeling :)

Nice for home use though :)

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I've got an Orange TH30 and a couple of stacked overdrive pedals and haven't had any problems yet. I doubt unpotted pickups work well for metal, though.
Well that's your experience, not mine.

The one gig I can remember trying to use unpotted pickups I was playing a Deluxe Reverb with a FD2 in front of it at a moderate - low level. Squealing was so bad I wanted to smash the guitar on the stage. Needless to say, I wasn't playing anything resembling metal with that setup ;)

Seth L

Well that's your experience, not mine.

The one gig I can remember trying to use unpotted pickups I was playing a Deluxe Reverb with a FD2 in front of it at a moderate - low level. Squealing was so bad I wanted to smash the guitar on the stage.
I could blow up a Deluxe Reverb and my pickups wouldn't squeal. I use a 2x12 cab with my Orange and have never heard a squeal. Feedback, yes. Squeal, no.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I could blow up a Deluxe Reverb and my pickups wouldn't squeal. I use a 2x12 cab with my Orange and have never heard a squeal. Feedback, yes. Squeal, no.
Crazy, it almost sounds... as if... we weren't using the exact same pickups! ;)

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I said I used Antiquities. So what were you using?
I don't really know, something from the latter half of the '60s. But I don't really see why it matters. You keep pushing this as if feedback from unpotted pickups was some unheard of phenomena and you don't believe me. I promise you I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. Why do you think they started potting pickups in the first place?

Seth L

I don't really know, something from the latter half of the '60s. But I don't really see why it matters. You keep pushing this as if feedback from unpotted pickups was some unheard of phenomena and you don't believe me. I promise you I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. Why do you think they started potting pickups in the first place?
If the covers not on properly, they'll squeal. Wolfetone players say you can stand 2 feet in front of a Marshall and they won't squeal. Basically, the good ones don't.

Flogger59

Unpotted on my Gibsons. They have the added benefit of making sure that you don't crank the preamp gain too much. I sound much better for it.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
If the covers not on properly, they'll squeal. Wolfetone players say you can stand 2 feet in front of a Marshall and they won't squeal. Basically, the good ones don't.

Again, why do you think they started potting pickups in the first place? Was it because the manufacturers didn't know how to properly install their own pickup covers, or was it because they weren't making "good ones"? If unpotted pickups are truly the magical secret to tone, then why are potted pickups so much more widely used?

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Again, why do you think they started potting pickups in the first place? Was it because the manufacturers didn't know how to properly install their own pickup covers, or was it because they weren't making "good ones"? If unpotted pickups are truly the magical secret to tone, then why are potted pickups so much more widely used?
the interesting thing is that none of those questions really matters to me;
i really enjoy playing my unpotted pickups.

i don't think about it so much in those kinds of "what does everyone else like?"-ways; playing, recording & my own musical experiences work for me.

i can deal with the squeal, so far; yeah, it's been years.

and, i have some potted pickups, too, but..... they sound & feel a bit dry to me, at this point..... which can also be useful, sometimes, of course.

Seth L

Because some people like way more gain than others? It's ok. You can like waxed pickups. :rotflmaoI don't have any running currently, but I have and they work just fine. I just really like the "air" you get unpotted. To each his own.

Last edited:

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Has anybody who likes unpotted vs potted pickups actually come to this conclusion from any sort of rational/experimental activity? For example, I know I like uncovered humbuckers because I've put covered humbuckers in a guitar, taken off the covers (without unwiring the pickups; admittedly a pain), and then found that I liked the resulting tone more. And I've done this with a few different models of humbuckers. Someone who says for example they like Seth Lovers because they're unpotted. What are they comparing it to? Did they order a potted Seth Lover and then un-pot it themselves? Otherwise, what rational basis do you have to conclude that what you are liking is due to the pickup being unpotted and not some other factor?

:munch
-
Austin

Seth L

Has anybody who likes unpotted vs potted pickups actually come to this conclusion from any sort of rational/experimental activity? For example, I know I like uncovered humbuckers because I've put covered humbuckers in a guitar, taken off the covers (without unwiring the pickups; admittedly a pain), and then found that I liked the resulting tone more. And I've done this with a few different models of humbuckers. Someone who says for example they like Seth Lovers because they're unpotted. What are they comparing it to? Did they order a potted Seth Lover and then un-pot it themselves? Otherwise, what rational basis do you have to conclude that what you are liking is due to the pickup being unpotted and not some other factor?

:munch
-
Austin
Personally, I just like the way they sound and feel. Nothing rational about.

murkat

I like sea otters
" Most" Pickups potted correctly sound, sound just as good as unpotted with the benefits of being potted "correctly". I have been potting pickups for many years with great results and no problems. Some, better than others, some not so. Depends on the pickup and who made them.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Personally, I just like the way they sound and feel. Nothing rational about.
So then your comment about liking the "air" in unpotted pickups is just another internet myth you're propagating. Cool.
-
Austin

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
So then your comment about liking the "air" in unpotted pickups is just another internet myth you're propagating. Cool.
-
Austin
i'll propagate that opinion --- not a "myth" --- right alongside that dude.

some air, yeah!
some noise, too.

{ ..... doesn't help facilitate pinch-harmonics at all, and has fu**-all to do with "swirl", ime..... }

but i also like mine to be direct-mounted..... maybe because i'm so completely irrational, i guess?
it's ok.
sounds good to me, sounds good recorded, ain't busting my mythic flow in any way at all.

:barf

Seth L

" Most" Pickups potted correctly sound, sound just as good as unpotted with the benefits of being potted "correctly". I have been potting pickups for many years with great results and no problems. Some, better than others, some not so. Depends on the pickup and who made them.
Did someone say there was a problem with potted pickups? I must have missed that. :facepalm

Trending Topics