power amp for small home studio

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ChazMania, Oct 28, 2018.

1. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

So I am still on my first few steps of getting up and running to do some basic stuff at home with interface/DAW, plugins, etc. I think I may have fried my old Denon stereo unit that I was powering some things with recently. What is a reasonable stereo power amp, I'm guessing solid state is best for clean power but I don't know what I don't know.....

recs?

2. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

If your space isn't too big (and probably not), you could certainly get by with a pair of self-powered monitors, the way most home studios do these days. I didn't spend a heap of money on mine but they are the best speakers I've got in the house. Unless you already have a set of speakers your ears can trust?

3. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

What's your budget? If you want to keep it on the cheap side, look for a used Alesis RA100. You should be able to pick one up for $100 or less. For twice that you can get a new Behringer A500. These are certainly not in the Bryston and Hafler league, but have enough clean power to get the job done for an average set of near-fields. If you can stretch a little more, you can look at Crown, QSC, Yamaha. Convection cooling is preferred to fan-cooled in a studio setting, but it may be you can find a low-velocity/low-noise fan-cooled model that will work.