Power Amp for W/D/W Rig

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by traynor_garnet, Feb 8, 2018.

1. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I am thinking of buying a power amp to use in a W/D/W rig. I currently use three vintage heads (all the same model) but it is really overkill for running wet effects.

I want something that sounds good but I don't need to break the bank; good sounding but inexpensive is the ticket. Since I take a tap from my guitar amp's output , I probably want a flatter "full range" power amp rather than one 'voiced' for guitar. I also need it to be a stereo amp.

One candidate is the ART SDA1 Studio Digital Amplifier. It is relatively inexpensive, has no fan, and is light. It has been out for a few years, however, and with NAMM just wrapping up I am wondering if there is anything newer out there. Whatever I get, it doesn't necessarily have to be Class D, but this type of technology makes a lot of sense for my application.

TG

2. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Up until recently, I had a Carvin DCM200L. Solid state, 1U rack, no fan, very light, 60-100W per side. I'm running stereo, not W/D/W, so the small loss of dynamics I heard not using my tube amp eventually caused me to switch it out. But for only wet use, where you're still getting all the dynamics from your vintage head in the dry channel, I bet something like would work nicely. I got mine as a B-stock from Carvin for $2xx-something, but now you'd have to look on the used market only.

chumbucket likes this.
  3. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

A local guy has a Carvin Tube 100 power amp for sale but I think he is asking too much. I do tend to run some dry in wet cabs so now I am worried about losing something with an inexpensive SS power amp.

4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

When I had a W/D/W set up, I used a Carvin FET900 for the stereo effects. Super low noise floor, and far more than enough volume.
    There’s plenty of SS power amps out there would work for your application.

5. Mayhem13

Mayhem13 Member

Go with the Rocktron Mainline.....the resonance and presence controls will allow enough tone shaping to work with any cabinet or room acoustics.

6. slybird

slybird Member

home or for gigs?

I think I am about to buy an Ampli-Firebox for WDW livingroom practice setup. Current living room practice is just a small practice amp. Wets will be Firebox > Alesis Midiverb > home stereo system.

7. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I just saw this: https://www.primecables.ca/en/p-362...MI1pW2nLul2QIVDzJpCh2_VwWcEAQYASABEgLWpfD_BwE

Note the price is in Canadian dollars. Free shipping and today you get 14% off. I am a little worried that it will fall apart but is it really going to be any worse than the other cheap brands? I know that a bunch of guys have said the mono price guitar amps sound good.

This is strictly for a home setup so the amp won't be moved, trucked around, or assembled/disassembled.

TG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

I have had good luck with the Bheringer I-Nuke amps. I find you need to buy at least twice as many watts as you need, if you want it clean, and that is with the load you are using [most are rated with 2, and 4 ohm loads] , so if powering a 16 ohm cab the 6000 watt 2 ohm amp is only good for 375 watts.

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Get a Carvin TS100 if it's still available.

10. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

I think someone else asked regarding your application (live v. studio/home use) because that has certainly influenced my choices.

As I developed my w/d/w rig I knew I ultimately wanted to use it live so portability, stage footprint, etc, became significant considerations. I started out using amps I had on hand but swiftly settled on a Park 75 head for my main dry channel. That thing is just terrific with pedals. As far as the two dry channels are concerned I use a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700. It’s expensive (I found a demo unit for $500) but the size, power and vol/EQ controls add enormous value for what I am doing.

As an aside, this rig is organized around the use of a stand alone guitar preamp. I made an impulse buy of a Kingsley OD pedal a couple of years ago and really fell for their tone and feel. I have their Constable preamp on order (along with their 1-watt amp) but the reason I mention it is a function of eliminating the large Park 75 head. The Kingsley Constable will replace the Park 75 preamp section and will sit on my pedal board. For the dry amp I purchased a 1x12 Nolatone Club Master combo. I won’t bore you with the details but this thing is designed as a pedal platform and the builder, Paul Sanders, added a passive effects loop that will accommodate the Constable preamp once it arrives. Now I have a 1 box solution for my main dry channel. And it sounds terrific as a 1x12 combo all by itself.

Lots of cool stuff out there. Have fun getting your system together no matter how you intend to use it. :beer

Mincer likes this.
  11. elyke

elyke Member

+1 for the Carvin amps. The current DCM or equivalent 1 space power amp in the 50+ watts per ch range should be fine and perfect for wet only effects. Don't even get me started about folks who run dry in the effects cabs o_O Recommended to me by Bob years ago and still works great.

12. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Turns key into ignition to get started . . .

ctreitzell and NorCal_Val like this.
  13. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

But in all seriousness, I'm interested to know if there is a specific reason you shouldn't run any dry in the wet cabs.

TG

14. amphog

15. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Any issues with fan noise?

TG

16. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

There are reasons to mix some dry signal when using modulation effects. It has been discussed in other threads. You may want to do a search.

17. amphog

Not for me, but it could be if you were in a studio.

18. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Thanks. This would be used in my music room. If I can hear a fan over top of my playing it will bother me eventually. Playing somewhat loud during the day would be fine, but it could be an issue during quiet practice at night or playing softly.

TG

19. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Well, I may end up with a Marshall 9005 power amp after all of this! It is way bigger than I wanted but this thing is local and we are arguing price.

Trying to see if there are any typical issues with these.

TG