Power amp pedal/box for preamp pedals?

cyberprimate

I sold my Twin Reverb last year after moving in a flat with direct neighbours and currently I have no amp, no speaker cabinet. Playing guitar with cans…

As preamp pedals I have the 'Benson Preamp' that I love (also 'JHS Twin Twelve v2' and 'Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop v2', very low gain). I'm looking for a low wattage amplification (5-15 w) for recording at home. I'll decide about speaker cabinet depending on what direction I go regarding the power amp stage.

Any recommendation ?

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Quilter 45/EHX Magnum 44-both stomp box sized. Both cheap (often used for less than $150), both sound great. Not a lot of EQ, but you've got the preamps for that. Add a lightweight cab with a Neo speaker and you'll have a giggable solution for less than $300 and less than 20#.

Or just buy an old Peavey Bandit for $150...

cyberprimate

Quilter 45/EHX Magnum 44-both stomp box sized.
Isn't that a lot of wattage for home recording (old 1920's flat with direct neighbours)? I'm looking for 5-15w power (tube wise). Or it doesn't matter? I've looked at the Magnum 5MM but it's only 2.5w…

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Since the Quilter and EHX amps are solid state, clean platforms, they actually work really well at low volumes. I've used mine both quietly in the basement and on stage without a problem. Only lack is a headphone out, but almost any interface and many preamp solutions will have that.

Top Bottom