Power and Audio Cables Interference?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikoo69, Apr 20, 2016.

1. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

Read that it's recommended to run power cables and audio cables perpendicular to eachother on a pedalboard to prevent interference and noise. Is there truth to this? I read somewhere else it only matters if using AC power and not DC.

I ask because I'm racking my pedals and will have a remote board with a Wah and whammy. I'd like to build a Loom that has send and return audio cables for the Wah and whammy back to the rack, a midi cable and a power cable so that I can power a Voodoo Labs ISO5 on the remote board from the Furman in the Rack. Wondering if there might be any issues having a power extension cable like this along with audio cables in a loom?

I'll also have an XLR/7 pin midi cable in there to phantom power my Midi Controller so there will be that line of power as well in the loom.

Anything to be concerned about? Should I separate the audio and the midi/power cables into 2 looms or will they be fine together?

Lastly, what's up with power con connectors? To make setup easier I would love to have the entire loom connect to a rack patchbay on the back so all audio sends and returns, midi and power is easily accessible for setup and breakdown. Will a powercon connection work to connect an outlet of the Furman to the rack patchbay, so that on the power cable in the loom, I can plug a powercon connector to the back instead of having to plug it directly into the Furman?

2. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

Either separate or twisted pairs, that way the cables cross at 90 degreee angles, but pretty hard to do with whole cables, easier with single conductors