Power and Preamp tube reccomendations...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by slhguitar, Mar 13, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I have a stock Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12, and I don't really like the distortion channel. I know others share this opinion, so I was wondering if there was a preamp/power tube combination someone would reccomend to make the distortion more usable without sacrificing the fender cleans I have come to cherish. Thanks for any input and advice.

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

try a 5751.

3. amper

amper Member

I would suggest dropping a 12AU7 or 12AY7 in V2 to tame the distortion.

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey slhguitar,

I own an Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 myself. The stock drive/more drive channel sounds horrible to me. Changing preamp/power tubes and speakers doesn't help it either. Contact Jim Price of Omega Amps:
    http://www.omegaamps.com

He offers a Hot Rod Deluxe mod to revoice the entire amp and fixes the issues of the touchy bass control and drive master control knobs. He'll also install upgraded input jacks, better tubes, speakers and transformer at an extra cost. Jim's service is quick, honest and friendly. One of the more knowledgable amp tech guys in the business. His mod prices are fair and brings out the full potential of the Hot Rod amp series. Here are some clips of other Gear Page members who had Jim mod their Hot Rod Deluxe:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=142103&highlight=Omega

Guitar George

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 on the above. The stock distortion is poor at best. A different speaker helped mine a lot but still fell short.The Legend 125 never worked for me for dirty sounds.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    A 12AU7 will probably drop the volume too low, a 12AY7 or 12AT7 (customers have used Mullard CV4024s with success) will likely do the trick.