1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Power attenuator for Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by FiveG, Mar 11, 2006.

1. FiveG

FiveG Member

I am looking into how to do a power attenuator for a late 60s Silverface Super Reverb, so that it can be played comfortably without the local constabulary being called, and kept reasonable on a gig. Anyone have any thoughts about good selections? Also, how difficult is it for a relative "dummy" to install?

FiveG

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

THD Hotplate, Trainwreck Airbrake,Weber Mass.......etc that are rated for a 2 ohm load .Connect a speaker cable from spkr out at the amp to att. input , connect speakers to att. output(a cable extension from speakers might be handy)and you're done. Should be easy enough for ya.
    Dave C

3. FiveG

FiveG Member

Thanks -- do these come with RCA inputs and jacks, or will I need a plug converter?

4. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I`m using a Weber Mass 100 with my Super, with excellant results. Highly reccomended. Makes the amp way more usable.

CT.

5. FiveG

FiveG Member

Do they come in 2 ohm models? And does it matter with a 2 ohm amp like the SR that you use a 4 ohm? I haven't taken any physics or electricity courses in, say, 28 years.

FiveG

6. FiveG

FiveG Member

Dave - do you know any retailers in CT who have the 2 ohm version in stock?

FiveG

7. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Yes , Alpha Audio in Mystic has THD Hotplates in 2 ,4,8 and 16 ohms as well.
    Dave C

8. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

According to Weber, running the Super at 4 ohms won`t hurt it. So no problems, ans I`ve been doing it for a while now. I actually think it sounds better attenuated. Not as bright, with the brite switch on.

CT.

9. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have an excellent condition Weber Mass 100 for sale that will go down to 2 ohms (switch on the back).

$150 shipped to the continental U.S.