Power attenuator for Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by FiveG, Mar 11, 2006.

1. FiveG

FiveG Gold Supporting Member

I am looking into how to do a power attenuator for a late 60s Silverface Super Reverb, so that it can be played comfortably without the local constabulary being called, and kept reasonable on a gig. Anyone have any thoughts about good selections? Also, how difficult is it for a relative "dummy" to install?

FiveG

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

THD Hotplate, Trainwreck Airbrake,Weber Mass.......etc that are rated for a 2 ohm load .Connect a speaker cable from spkr out at the amp to att. input , connect speakers to att. output(a cable extension from speakers might be handy)and you're done. Should be easy enough for ya.
    Dave C

3. FiveG

Thanks -- do these come with RCA inputs and jacks, or will I need a plug converter?

4. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I`m using a Weber Mass 100 with my Super, with excellant results. Highly reccomended. Makes the amp way more usable.

CT.

5. FiveG

Do they come in 2 ohm models? And does it matter with a 2 ohm amp like the SR that you use a 4 ohm? I haven't taken any physics or electricity courses in, say, 28 years.

FiveG

6. FiveG

Dave - do you know any retailers in CT who have the 2 ohm version in stock?

FiveG

7. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Yes , Alpha Audio in Mystic has THD Hotplates in 2 ,4,8 and 16 ohms as well.
    Dave C

8. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

According to Weber, running the Super at 4 ohms won`t hurt it. So no problems, ans I`ve been doing it for a while now. I actually think it sounds better attenuated. Not as bright, with the brite switch on.

CT.

9. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have an excellent condition Weber Mass 100 for sale that will go down to 2 ohms (switch on the back).

$150 shipped to the continental U.S.