• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Power conditioner or voltage regulator? What should I use to get consistent power at different locations?

guitarman3001

Ran across an interesting situation yesterday. I went to jam with an old band and took my new rig. BluGuitar Amp1 ME. It sounds great at home and I've used it at practice with another band and it has sounded fine there too. At yesterday's jam though it sounded muddy with a high end fizz I couldn't dial out no matter what. The only thing I'm thinking that could have caused that is the power at the house.

What would I need to give me consistent 120V power? I'm thinking a Furman conditioner isn't really designed to regulate undervoltage so I'd probably need something like a UPS that has automatic voltage regulation.

Basically something like this

Is there something else I should be looking at? Also, is 600 Watts enough? I'd most likely just be running my amp and pedalboard through it. The Amp1 has a max draw of 150 watts. I have other amps like a TC-50 and Runt 20 and a bunch of others but I don't know how much they draw. I couldn't find those specs for the TC-50.

Blind Dog

I just purchased a Furman AR-15 voltage regulator (and conditioner) for “wonky” power in my home. The AR15 unit is discontinued and the newer version is more expensive.

It addressed my issues, I believe, that affected my tube amps, power station, and voltage sensitive pedals (eg, vibe).

Do a search on this product and you’ll see it has great reviews. They go used for a few hundred dollars.

Kent

The downside of this setup is I manually set the voltage, so if I get a spike from the outlet the voltage goes up on my rig. I can set the voltage where I want it, lower for some amps. On some regulators + or - 5% was the deal breaker for me especially when biasing a amp.

Attachments

Last edited:

rolandk

Silver Supporting Member
First you’d have to measure the voltage at home and the place where your amp sounded bad to see if there was a difference. If this is a one time deal, your ears may have just been tired and hearing things different.

71strat

+2 on Furman.

Their best one is the SPR 20i. It regulates to +- 1%.

Ive also got the P1800AR, and though its rated at +-5%, it Never Moves from 120v.

I then use a BrownboxRx to lower my volts to 100v-112v.
My volts at home are consistently 125v-129v, and burned up NOS KT66s. Cheaper to get the regulation ect, vs buying NOS KT66s monthly.
AR15 is a great unit for the used cost.

71strat

+2 on Furman.

Their best one is the SPR 20i. It regulates to +- 1%, but is expensive.

Ive also got the P1800AR, and though its rated at +-5%, it Never Moves from 120v.

I then use a BrownboxRx to lower my volts to 100v-112v.
My volts at home are consistently 125v-129v, and burned up NOS KT66s. Cheaper to get the regulation ect, vs buying NOS KT66s monthly.
AR15 is a great unit for the used cost.

guitarman3001

First you’d have to measure the voltage at home and the place where your amp sounded bad to see if there was a difference. If this is a one time deal, your ears may have just been tired and hearing things different.
Actually I made a discovery this morning. I hooked everything up at home and still heard the high end fizz. It's possible my ears are changing, but, what I discovered is that there were a lot of highs over 7500 Hz coming in and causing the fizz I'm suddenly hearing. My effects unit has a global EQ with a high and low shelf option so I turned on a high shelf at 7500 Hz and it eliminated every single bit of the fizz while not having any negative effect on the high frequencies I should be hearing.

Not sure WTF is going on. Is it my hearing, is it my amp, is it my speakers, am I experiencing early onset Alzheimers, ...??? But suddenly those frequencies over 7500 are bothering me.

Kyle Ashley

Those cheap units are the right idea but I wouldn't trust them in real world gig situations. When I spent the big bucks back in the 90s and bought 2 Bogner Ecstasy heads for touring all manner of venues around the US, I also got a Furman AR-1215 voltage regulator in my rack.

Been in use for almost 25 years now and my amps always sound consistent and have given me zero problems. It was expensive but so worth it. The Furman also saved my gear a couple times with insanely incompetent sound dorks on outside shows with generator power.

I even bought a second unit for home as I regularly hit 127-130 volts from my outlets. That is NOT good for electronics.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
*OP - don't spend money on a voltage regulator to solve a fizz issue!

All my amps fizz, and I feed them a specified voltage from a Brown Box.

Varied voltage is not causing your fizz.

guitarman3001

*OP - don't spend money on a voltage regulator to solve a fizz issue!

All my amps fizz, and I feed them a specified voltage from a Brown Box.

Varied voltage is not causing your fizz.
yeah, like I mentioned, I came up with a solution by using the global EQ in my effects unit and setting a 7500 Hz high shelf. It completely eliminated the fizz. Looks like maybe the speakers I'm using are just very bright and for whatever reason I hadn't noticed the fizz before. So I guess the problem is my ears and bright speakers.

Trending Topics