Power conditioner?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jakespenart, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jakespenart

jakespenart Member

What can you recomend for a power conditioner for a few pedals and an amp?

2. jakespenart

jakespenart Member

3. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I use a furman pl8e and voodoo labs pp2... The furman powers my 2 amps, avalon & pp2 and the pp2 powers all my pedals...

Its a good setup for ease of use but some noise still creeps thru...

4. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I bought a unit off Ebay called a " Powervar ". Its like 43lbs of copper windings and lists for $1200. However, they can be had on Ebay for around a $100. The power in my 125 year old house was unusable before a got it. May of been the single biggest improvement in my sound of all my purchases over the years. It changes the power from AC to DC then back to AC.

5. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

shame that they dont make the rackmount in 240v...

does any noise get thru?

i find that the furman still lets noise thru which is annoying , i think it's real purpose is a glorified power strip.. for which it works well, i think that it supplies even power to each of the outputs but as far as noise filtering goes it leaves a bit to be desired...

6. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

My set-up is dead quiet now. Before I was getting shocked on the mic, 60 cycle hum, radio signals and plenty of pops and crackles. I haven't seen a 240 conditioner, but never looked that hard. I bought the furman first and like you said, lots of noise still got through. My house suffers from 100 years of halfass farmers and truck drivers doing electrical work. This was a quick fix for my music room but I realize that the bigger problem is still present and will need attention ( time and money ) someday.

7. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

EMAIL RESPONSE FROM FURMAN:

"If you are playing out a lot the best would be the P-1800 AR voltage regulator:

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=P-1800AR

If you are more often in a controlled environment then the best would be the P-1800 PF R:

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=P-1800PFR "

so i obviously can't afford the more expensive one, and ive never seen anyone or heard of anyone i know gigging with one of those. question is why would i need that at all, and will the cheaper one (p-1800 pfr) be a good choice for a method of powering my live rig?

8. stubbyJ

stubbyJ Member

Good thread!

During the winter months here in MINEEESOOTA, I get gun-shot loud pops from my pedals.

Anyone know of a very, very, very high quality unit, that is portable and would without a doubt do the trick - one that would, for the most part eliminate the power as a variable in regards to my popping issue at leat?

I may have a pedal leaking DC current, but I would like the PC regardless.

9. mikoo69

would it be better to use the AR-1215 or the Power Factor Pro Rack? cant afford both

10. mikoo69