Power for 12 pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by x-ray specs, Feb 6, 2012.

1. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I'm looking for a decent power supply that can power 12 pedals. Needs to have isolated outs, so no one spot recommendations (or similar) please. Probably ten 9v and two or three 12v pedals. Hopefully costing around $200 or so, but not much more.

There is the Moollon power supply that I've been waiting for, was announced at summer NAMM 2011, but still hasn't been released yet. Not sure when it will be. But the Moollon would probably be perfect. Any other similar units? Thanks.

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I think the CAE power supply would fit your criteria.

[​IMG]

3. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

I'm running the Diago Power Station. Daisy chain based, so no isolated outs, but they have isolator adaptors (http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/power-adaptors.html) that will give you upt to 110 mA of clean isolated power. Enough for most uses. My only pedal that doesn't work well with the Diago is the Strymon Timeline. It gets noisy as soon as some other pedals are connected, and it needs like 300 mA, so I'm running it with its dedicated wallwart.

However, even pedals that claim that they want clean isolated power like the Subdecay Prometheus DLX run quite silent with my Diago.

Here's what my Diago currently is powering simultanously:
    - Custom built double true bypass looper
    - RMC-1 Wah (should be mounted physically far away from the Diago to avoid picking up hum)
    - Fuzzhugger Ab-synth Fuzz
    - Retroman Sybil Fuzz
    - Subdecay Prometheus DLX
    - Analogman Mini BiComp
    - VFE Alpha Dog
    - OKKO Twinsonic
    - Line6 M5

It could also power my Pigtronix EP-2 with a custom made 18V 100 mA isolator adapter that James from Diago made for me.

4. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I know, I know.....isolated outs. But daisy chaining a few along with the courtesy outlet on the PP2+ won't kill you, and you'll save a few bucks.

5. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Cioks dc8 with split flex cables or dc10 if you need more juice

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I've used the VL PP2+ and ISO-5, as well as the Cioks DC8 and have the DC10 coming this week. I also have used the CAE MC-403(owned 2/recently sold 1). They are all very good PSUs. But they all have limiting qualities based on everyone's needs. To me, based on your effects, you will have some modifications to fully fit your criteria.

Having a need for a PSU to individually isolate each and every pedal is very hard to do unless you have a multi PSU set-up. Based on your criteria, the MC-403 fits your bill, but only has 2 taps to give you 12V and only has 8-9V taps.

The Cioks DC10 can power your board, but you will need to daisy chain or utilize a "Y" power cable or two. The same goes for the DC8, ISO-5 and PP2+. You would really have to be creative to properly power your board.

There is the Burkey Flatliner that has I believe 12 taps aside from the previous mentioned, another great unit.

In all, best thing to do is chart your pedals to determine: the voltage required, mA needed/pedal, analog/digital. Charting will give you a visual of your power needs and help sort out and weed out the PSUs out there for your proper powering needs.

This is an excellent website to check-out for current PSU: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808
    Andreas(TGP member Stinkfoot) put this chart together, it's worth bookmarking.

7. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Thanks for the recommendations.

8. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Just looking at the various power supplies, I think the MXR MC403 would be more useful if the four 18v outs were more than 125mA. I have a couple pedals that can be run at 18v but they are something like 200- 300 mA. Even my 18v Mxr flanger is 150mA. So it makes the 18v outs almost useless for me. That leaves me with 10 useable outs.

9. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Buy 2 BBE Supa Chargers

10. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Yup. I was strongly considering that. Looking for a good deal on two. They were $100 each on Amazon yesterday, now the price went up again lol.

11. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Just remember that the supa charger can't do 18v.

12. jnepo1

It actually has more mA/tap then what is listed. Bradshaw overspec'd them, and the variable voltage taps can power Eventides. Also, depending on the manufacturer, some of their mA listings are for wallwarts.

13. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Do you have any idea what the actual mA is on the four 18v outs?

14. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Unless you combine two 9v outs to make 18v.

15. jnepo1

The MXR flanger is analog and requires 2/9volt batteries. I powered it perfectly fine thru an 18V tap on the 403. As I mentioned prior, the mA ratings on some manufacturer listings are for wallwarts. Dunlop sells 150 & 250 mA wallwarts and higher. Hence the 150mA rating. The flanger is actually around 43mA if I remember.

16. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Yeah, I guess it makes sense that the 177r, one of their own pedals, would work in their own power supply. Thanks for the info.

17. jb4674

jb4674 Member

18. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

I just put a Carl Martin Pro Power on my board and used it for the first time live this past weekend - my Fuel Tank Jr. bit the dust.

Anyway, it has 8 outputs, all switchable between 9v and 12v, and has a total max output of something like 1600ma. It could be wishful thinking, but I believe it really helped my tone. There seemed to be more clarity. I had a couple guys who play out that I've known for years tell me my rig sounded better than they had heard it before.

19. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

dang. never saw that before. can it run a space, m5, and m9 along with some dirt?

sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

20. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member