Power options besides Voodoo Lab?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DirtyChains, Feb 2, 2006.

1. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

Is there anything out there in the same league that is cheaper? Do the OneSpot and Godlyke warts introduce that much noise in comparison? I currently have 2 OneSpots but I would like to upgrade to something better if I am going to be able to hear the difference. I have heard the DC Brick is no better than the OneSpot.

James

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If you need isolated outputs (which is the PP2's main advantage over daisy-chain type of supplies like the Godlyke/1-spot and the Brick), your options are quite limited. There's the Juice Box 3 (awesome, but more expensive) and the Burkey Flatliner (cheaper than the PP2 in Europe, but I'm not sure about its cost in the US).

Btw, if you already have 2 separate adapters, you actually have two isolated groups. This can be a definite advantage over a single supply, and if you group the pedals right, it can be just as quiet as a PP2.

/Andreas

3. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

Thanks for the reply. Tone Factor does carry the Burkey unit but it is $225. It looks like it is a bit more versitile than the PP2+, but I am not sure it is worth the extra.

How would you (others please voice your opinion too) recommend grouping the pedals in order to cut down on noise?

All replies appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

4. Toasted

Toasted Member

Hey, I've had great success with Cioks Power Supplies. These might be worth checking out.

Joe.

5. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

I'll check into those. Thanks!

Edit: I cannot find a US distributor. If anyone know of one let me know.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Carl Martin "Big John" (despite the name and what it implies).

When I went to my music store, they turned me on to this, it was considerably cheaper, excellent power, I checked it with a voltmeter and all outputs were right on the money. Has a on and a OK Power check led.
    Works great.

Only drawbacks (and I really don't understand their thinking) they give you only 5 cables, and it has 7 outputs! So if you buy it, ask for the extra two. Still, in the end I ended up buying some right angle barrell connectors, and some RNC and made my own, cut to length (MUST be careul to make sure minus= tip, plus=sleeve) with right angles so I could get more use out of my board space (the second tier could get closer to the first.)

It's a great supply, much cheaper, at least here in Norway.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

8. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I finally broke down and got a PP2+ for 140. on ebay. For years, I felt the same as you. No problem resolved

9. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

Great ideas guys! I really appreciate all the replies. I have several I need to spend some time looking for.

rwe333-I had not even thought of this unit. Thanks for the links!

10. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

I really didn't want to buy a PP2+. What a boring thing to spend money on! Now I have one, I can't imagine how I got by without it, and I wouldn't think twice about buying another if need be. A great device.

11. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

I own the Valvulator I on my SKB PS-45 power conditioned pedalboard. I use it as a buffer for pedalboard's audio signal and as a power supply for my 18 volt MXR 117R flanger. I was able to eliminate the Dunlop ECB-004 AC adaptor off of my pedalboard with a custom built DC cable on my Valvulator I. I still a 12 volt and a 9.5 volt output left to power other devices if necessary.

Guitar George

12. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i'm thinking about the mks power pad stand-alone power supply......about $116 ........... i really need the extra ac outlet ......and it's got 8 boss type outlets....i dont think they're isolated like the pedal power, but neither is the dunlop or carl martin (to my understanding)...i'm using a 1 spot now with no noise problems that would get me all pumped up for the isolated thing........i'm just not sure it's worth the extra money for the isolated and sag features ( i don't use any line 6 stuff either) ............ thoughts anybody?.... i know some of you guys use their pedalboards (mks)

chris