Power output-- Roland Cube 60 vs. SCXD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by belair, Oct 25, 2008.

1. belair

belair Member

Given the Super Champ XD's 15 watt output is tube, and the Cube 60's 60 watt output is solid state, can anyone compare the loudness of one relative to the other? Assume you upgraded the SCXD's speaker up to a RC or were going thru a decent 1x12 cab instead of the stock speaker.

I've got a SCXD and really like it, but have an opportunity to pick up a Cube 60 too. I'm just wondering if the Cube 60 offers any more small gig-worthiness than the SCXD I already have. I'm happy with the models with the SCXD and only use a little delay or reverb anyway.

2. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I have a Cube 60. While I can't speak for the Super Champ, I can tell you that the Cube 60 has tons of clean headroom, pretty comparable to that of a JC-120. My guess would be that a 15 watt tube amp might get a little hairy at full gig volume. On the JC channel, the Cube stays clean throughout is range and can easily drown out a hard hitting drummer when maxed. If you need a lightweight portable super clean amp for playing jazz or surf, the Cube 60 is the ticket. It also has some passable distortion tones on the gain channel, but I don't use any of them since I play sans distortion.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

A watt is a watt and once you run out, headroom is toast.
    Tubes just, generally, sound better as they hit the wall and tend to be used with better, more efficient speakers. So, the SC through a big, expensive cab will sound noticeably(!) better. Worth it?

4. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I think it really depends on the application. I'm not sure about a 15 watter, but I've tried unsuccessfully gigging with a 5 watt VJ head for my Motown cover band. While it was certainly loud enough, it was well into crunch territory to get up over the drums. I had to switch it out with a Crate Powerblock after the first song.

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

I have them both and the Cube 60 is much louder if that is the issue.

Evan.

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

A watt isn't always a watt (well, after the output xistor) ...... The cube 60 tends to blow people away BECAUSE it's got so much headroom and sounds more 'like' tube watts. Most 60 ss amps can't hold a candle to it.

jon

7. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I bought a Cube 60 almost a year ago, my son took it over, but whenever I get the chance to play it I'm still impressed. At the volumes my 6 pc band plays, it would be no problem most of the time.

8. Jerryr

Jerryr Member

I bought a Cube 60 a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. I sold a Marshall JCM 900 and Fender Super 112. My music tastes have change and I only play solo chord/melody jazz standards now. The Roland is plenty loud enough for that and has a nice tight bottom end. As others have mentioned, I feels solid as a brick.