Power Question

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I am in the midst of a pedalboard rebuild, and as I increased the number of pedals to 13 from nine, I also moved to a bigger power supply, a Cioks DC10 Link. As the Cioks unit has only 10 outputs, if I'm going to power 13 pedals, I'm going to have to double up on a few ports. My more power-hungry digital units will get their own ports, so I was planning to pair up my analog flanger and chorus pedals since I wouldn't really ever use them both at the same time.

Are there any other rules of thumb though when it come to powering multiple pedals off the same port? For example, if I power both my KOT and my Sun Lion off the same 9v/100mA port, there is more than enough juice on tap, as each pedal uses 9 volts and less than 20mA, but is there any other reason I shouldn't pair these two pedals?

Similarly, I was also going to pair my J Rockett Archer and a fuzz face off the same 9v/100mA port. Would that be ok? There's certainly enough power on the tap to power both pedals, but is there anything else I should be considering when I power two pedals off the same port besides the actual power requirements? I'm obviously trying to protect the pedals, but I also want to keep noise at a minimum as well.

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
You’ve largely just got to test out combinations. That said, I’d try to isolate any pedals with charge pumps inside, or anything else that can create high frequency noise.

So, depending on what’s inside of the flanger and chorus pedals, they may share a power port just fine. But if one is “analog but with digital control” you might run into issues.

The other thing to note is that when not engaged (bypassed) pedals are still running at full power, just not in circuit. Their power supplies would still be sending out noise though, so any shared supplies will potentially be corrupted.

Premanand

I wouldn't have thought (being an amateur) pairing the supply for the j rocket archer & fuzz would harm them but there might be a loss in quality/headroom. Chorus & flanger makes sense..without knowing what ur other pedals are difficult to say. You could run the extras from a different source eg daisy chain eg Truetone ispot which should deliver 9v/175ma to each recipient?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
You shouldn't have an issue powering analog pedals together. However, I would suggest powering the Archer on its own. It has a charge pump and that can cause noise even though it is all analog. Pedals with a charge pump, I always prefer to power them isolated on their own.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't have thought (being an amateur) pairing the supply for the j rocket archer & fuzz would harm them but there might be a loss in quality/headroom. Chorus & flanger makes sense..without knowing what ur other pedals are difficult to say. You could run the extras from a different source eg daisy chain eg Truetone ispot which should deliver 9v/175ma to each recipient?
There is no loss in headroom unless you are exceeding the current of an outlet. An effect will only use what it requires to properly function. Analog pedals require low mA and in many cases, u see 23mA depending on the unit.

8len8

• Don't share power between analog and digital pedals.
  • Don't share power between high current and low current pedals (this one isn't a hard rule)

lions571

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know what pedals you are running (power & ISO needs) but on the 10 like my Big John you already have shared channels, both your 400mv are shared/daisy. You actually only have 6 or 8 isolated ports. What I would do not knowing the pedals is run 2 on the 1st 400mv shared port & run the 3 output daisy that should come with your unit on the other 400mv port.

lions571

Silver Supporting Member
You will definitely want to run the Sun Lion on an ISO, with my Cioks Adam or Big John on a daisy or on a shared channel will ground the channel out. It does it with my Sun Face.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
You shouldn't have an issue powering analog pedals together. However, I would suggest powering the Archer on its own. It has a charge pump and that can cause noise even though it is all analog. Pedals with a charge pump, I always prefer to power them isolated on their own.
Good to know re: charge pump. Thanks.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know what pedals you are running (power & ISO needs) but on the 10 like my Big John you already have shared channels, both your 400mv are shared/daisy. You actually only have 6 or 8 isolated ports. What I would do not knowing the pedals is run 2 on the 1st 400mv shared port & run the 3 output daisy that should come with your unit on the other 400mv port.
The DC10 Link has 10 fully isolated outlets, no shared grounds like the Big John or Schizophrenic.

lions571

Silver Supporting Member
The DC10 Link has 10 fully isolated outlets, no shared grounds like the Big John or Schizophrenic.
Edit, there are 2 models of DC10's, one is fully ISO. So what I am saying depends the model, apparently my reading comprehension skipped the Link part....

Last edited:

Top Bottom