1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Power questions not enough Power to run amp?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rcboals, Sep 10, 2006.

1. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

I have an old Musicman HD130 all tube head. I have played gigs in clubs and when I am plugged in to a power outlet it has no problems . I have played two gigs outside one in barn and another on a trailer. On the outside gigs the power supply came from extension cords both at least 25 feet long. They were 12 gauge cords. My amp played fine for about 20 minutes and then the sound got real fuzzy and distorted and volume was really low. I bring the head back home plug it in and play and play and play for hours without any problems. Would a Furman Power Pro solve the long extension cord problem link below shows the unit. http://www.furmansound.com/products/.../_pf/pfpro.php
    Have you had a similar problem? Is ther something maybe wrong with my amp? It seems to function just fine except for the gigs where an extension cord is used. any advise or help appreciated.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've experienced problems at outdoor gigs with long extension cords and/or generators. The only way to know if this is the cause is to measure the line voltage at your amp, under load (amp connected and operating).

Not sure about that Furman, but I solved the problem with a relatively cheap line regulator.

3. rcboals

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. You obviously know amps since it is your business. Did you look at the link for the Furman Power Pro? It does describe my problem with the muddy not clear sound and loss of volume. What kind of relatively inexpensive regulator did you use to solve the problem? The Furman runs about $200.00 on the low end price wise.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Power Pro is not a regulator so if sagging voltage is your problem, it probably won't help much.

5. rcboals

If sagging voltage is the problem what would solve the problem?

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I just checked. It's a Triplite LC1200. I think I paid around $100. I'm sure there are Furmans that will cover this and do more, but you'll be spending a lot of money for features you probably don't need.

7. rcboals

Thanks Mike, sounds like what I need. I am going to buy one. This forum is sure great!

8. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

mike, does that lc1200 also block RFI such as that generated by flourescent lights?
    thanks

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I doubt it. Try Google, it's amazing!:AOK

10. rcboals

Thanks a lot Mike. This forum is super. That is why I am a contributing member. You can get quality advise and help here from someone who has had the same or similar problem. I ordered the regulator from http://www.pagecomputers.com/store/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Power+Equipment&category%5Fname=21g21c251s1388&product%5Fid=113735
    $98.75 shipped beats $300.00 plus for a furman power regulator. Any one reading this that doesn't contribute to this site, I would encourage you to give a few bucks, click make a donation and just do it.

11. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

mike: i am quite capable of conducting searches without your sarcastic direction. i have been conducting such searches already and find that the mfg websites are less than helpful on the specs of various items such as we are discussing when it comes to the specific question i asked you.

please confine any answer you choose to give me to the question at hand and don't presume to know what i have or have not done. i simply asked your opinion because you have the item and may have direct experience.
    :rolleyes:

12. rcboals

13. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

hi. thanks for the link. i will check them out.

14. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I use a Furman voltage regulator. Many clubs, outdoor gigs, even homes have fluctuating voltage, and it does effect tube amps more than ss.

15. bluesy

bluesy Supporting Member

Seems that they mention EMI/RFI noise suppresstion on their overview page:
    1200 watt Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) system. Protects sensitive electronics, computer accessories and home theater equipment from power-related damage and performance problems. Extends the useful life of connected equipment by providing optimum voltage conditions for enhanced efficiency and cooler internal operating temperatures. Reliable transformer-based voltage correction circuits maintain 120V nominal output during voltage fluctuations between 89 and 147V. Three levels of voltage stabilization offer targeted response for overvoltages, undervoltages and severe brownouts. Prevents equipment damage and power related performance problems for computer accessories, printers, home theater equipment, a/v components and other sensitive electronic devices. Network-grade AC surge and EMI/RFI noise suppression. Supports loads up to 1200 watts, 10A. Includes 4 AC outlets, 6 ft AC line cord and 7 diagnostic LEDs which display incoming voltage level, surge suppression status and line fault status. 2 year warranty. $25,000 connected equipment insurance (USA & Canada only).

Hope this helps

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Happy to help. :dude

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I just had to try it now. I searched for "lc1200 emi" and got this
    https://www.ebizenterprise.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=30361

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Here are some of the reasons the Furman costs more:

Furman:
    TrippLite:

In particular, the Furman has eight steps in it's transformer and much tighter regulation. The TrippLite has three steps and much looser regulation. Other differences are 9 outlets/15A total for the Furman, vs 4 outlets/10A for the LC1200. The Furman is small and rack mount, vs a larger box format of the LC1200. Pretty much a case of getting what you pay for. Better features for more money.​

19. rcboals

I'm sure the Furman for at least 3 times+ the money does more tricks than you can do with a monkey on a fifty foot rope and it should. Nine outlets, I need just one good outlet. All I want is my old tube amplifier to keep going in a low voltage situation. I don't run rack stuff or any digital modern state of the art anything. I am just a Rock a Billy Poor Boy doing my thang. Got lost somewhere in the 50's. After I get this thang I will let everyone know if it works with a 100 Foot very light wire bargain extension cord.
    http://www.myspace.com/56pontiac

20. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Just pointing out the differences, regulation and capacity being the biggies. Not "tricks", just better performance.

FWIW, your 50 feet of 12ga extension wire is less than a tenth of an ohm resistance and probably not the source of your problem. Your voltage source at the gig may be the problem, but you won't know without measuring it. Tube amps will generally run reasonably well at low voltages but your Musicman is actually not an all tube head. The preamp section is solid state and may be the reason your amp can't hold up at lower voltages as well as a fully tube driven amp.