Power Scaling a Cage Corsa - WHO CAN DO IT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by onestop, Feb 11, 2008.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Hi All-

So I'm the proud owner of a Cage Corsa and have been using a Dr. Z Airbrake for those "let's keep the level down boys..." gigs. Don't get me wrong. Sounds great but REALLY considering modding the Corsa with power scaling.

Emailed Pete a little while back and he mentioned that another while he didn't have a lot of experience with power scaling, another member here had theirs modded (was it Killcrop?)

Anyhow, I'd really like to investigate getting power scaling installed.

Any tech recommendations. I'm located in the Northern VA area. Willing to ship if need be but if I can do it locally, that's a plus!

Let me know what you know if you know :D

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Pete would probably be the best guy since he's most familiar with his amps. If he passes, try Eric at www.vikingamps.com in Warrenton VA.

3. onestop

Thanks Blue Strat! Honestly, that's what I thought which is why I contacted Pete but he was very honest and sincere when he said that he had not really gotten into power scaling.

Maybe I'll run it up the flag pole - wondering if he's done any experimentation since.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    His response could mean a number of things including that he likes his amps as they are (very possible) or that the learning curve to do one job like this is too steep for it to work out financially for both parties.

Even for experts, the first time of doing anything new is very time consuming.

5. onestop

You're absolutely right and I agree, I'm sure the knowledge and ability is there and if he's not currently set-up for the job, no issues here. Also, I'm sure he's proud of his amps and circuitry (which he should be) and may not really see the need for power scaling.

I'm just in the position where I find myself constantly playing my Cage over all of my other amps and thinking of thinning the herd, leaving myself the Cage and my beloved '93 Fender Pro Junior Tweed. The Fender is the perfect little "pick-up and go" amp and as is the Cage but I find myself hauling the head, cab and attenuator, pedal board, blah, blah, blah and if I could eliminate the attenuator and power scale instead, that might be the ticket.

NOW ON THE OTHER HAND, if someone can give me a valid reason why I shouldn't power scale, please educate me and if not, I still think I'm game to give it a shot :AOK

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I have my Cage 18/30 powerscaled. It takes the volume down just enough to allow me to gig anywhere with the Cage. The dial is one the back and I can never tell where the Power Scale is set at until I put my hand back there and see. I does a great job without coloring the tone.