Power Scaling: Morgan vs Jackson Ampworks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tomuchroc41gtr, Apr 1, 2015.

1. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

So I've got the itch to try something new and, with all the hype about these two product lines, I'm curious. I see a lot of "this vs that" between the two lines but I don't see much in the way of comparing specifically the power scaling on each.

Let me beat the purists to the punch and get it out of the way...I know both are going to sound best wide open. The reality is that I'm never going to be in a live situation that can accommodate that, at least with the way I like to run my amps. Aside from studio work, there will ALWAYS be an element of power scaling for me.

I like to run my amps a little past edge of breakup so that with the guitar volume full-on it's getting a little crunchy and I can back off as needed or hit with a boost/OD for more. This is the main reason why power scaling will (almost) always be necessary for me.

I can't image the power scaling would react differently based on amp model but, in the event that it does matter, I'm most interested in the McFly and New Castle 30 from Jackson and the AC20dlx and SW22 from Morgan.

What say you, TGP?

2. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

Nuffin'? Should I assume then that both are fairly similar?

3. Blackwidow675

Blackwidow675 Member

I haven't played a Jackson, so I can't compare, but I've owned an AC20D, and the power scaling is fantastic. It will allow you to do exactly what you want.

4. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Ditto, AC20 Deluxe is fantastic.

5. Big D

Big D Member

No Mcfly guys?

6. flopman

flopman Member

I have a newcastle 30 and I like it to an extent. I find that if i turn it down past 12 o'clock (15 watts), it gets grittier. If I play at home it stays close to 15, if I play out, it's either maxed or 3 o'clock