Power Scaling or Re-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Douge, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Douge

Douge Member

Which of these two 'Power Scaling'(London Power) or 'Re-amping'(Ultimate Attenuator, Palmer,etc) would be better to bring down the volume and keeping the tone sounding good???

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

How much money and time have you got?

The "Ultimate Attenuator" is a packaged solution-buy one and use it, done. There're a couple of interesting threads on it, but the people that own them think they sound very authentic and record well. I've never played one.

Power scaling is tougher-you either have to buy and amp with it (and basically that means new, since there're very few used London Power amps around. Greg at Germino is using technology I think is similar, but again, fairly pricey. Or you can have your amp modded to use power scaling-buy Kevin's book or find a tech that know how to do it-less pricey but more complicated. It doesn't sound exactly like the same amp quieter, although some of the newer options come pretty close (the EQ curve and amount of distortion change as you turn output power down).

3. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Usually I'm not much of a stickler...but this one's bugging me.
    Re-amping is taken a DI'ed recorded signal back to the amp.
    Running a loaded down amp into another amp or power amp is slaving.

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

sorry if i've helped perpetuate this mistake in my other thread :( but the mistake does make linguist sense, since slaving means taking an already amped signal, bringing it down to line level, then *re-amplifying* it with a second amp... oh well, live & learn :)

5. Ed DeGenaro

Bad Splatt. In the corner with you! :)

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Instead of Greg at Germino, I think you may have meant to say Dave Zimmerman at Maven Peal and his use of his own patented Sag and Wattage controls:
    http://www.mavenpeal.com

With the Maven Peal Ganesha, the substitution was probably a "G Thing".
    :D

As far as I know, Greg at Germino has not submitted to any Power Scaling/Sag & Wattage type of technology.
    He's getting cool tones the old school way (at volume), and it's working out pretty well for him.
    :cool:
    I agree with drbob1.
    There's probably not one that is "better".

Technology like power scaling or sag & wattage controls can work great.
    Reamping/slaving can work great.

For me, it comes down to considering the right technology for the application, as in:
    - Using reamping/slaving for existing amps I own
    or
    - Considering power scaling or sag & wattage technology for a new amp purchase.

I use both approaches. I have a Maven Peal Zeeta .5-50. I also like and use because:
    - I can use it with any amplifier, including vintage amps that I would never consider modifying with power scaling
    - it's flexible (you can use any amp for the front or back end)
    - for me, it's relatively inexpensive compared to modifying an amp with a power scaling solution (since I already have the amps to use for final amplification)

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Re-amping also applies to taking a miked recorded signal and running that back to an amp.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Why in the world would you want to do that?

9. Amit

Amit Member

On July Kevin comes out with the PS-Box:

PS-Box

And that one will go into my amp as soon as possible.

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

To change the character of the sound (usually because you cut the original track in some dead phone-booth like facility but are mixing down in a place with a real nice sounding room) or to add bleed to other tracks that are being re-amped at the same time.

During mixdown, I regard the available tracking rooms as bases for potential effects. Depending on what got printed during tracking, yeah, I would probably go with a direct recorded track if one is available, but one isn't always available. Just because the signal has already seen a microphone is not going to stop me from trying.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

As you know there's some significant differences between Dave's technology and Kevin's. Leaving that aside, though, the newer Germinos are coming with a wattage control that I assume from the way it affects the sound is a scalable power supply in the O'Conner vein. I could be wrong, it could be a power soak, but then why would he call it a "Wattage" knob?

12. Ed DeGenaro

That's what I referred to in my prior post.
    I do not like running a loaded down head back out from the recorder into another head. Power section...fine.

As for Hot Plate's and strain on tubes and power section..well the other option for me is to crank without an attenuator and the strain will still be there.
    As for lowering voltage...gets way too saggy for me.

13. Ed DeGenaro

The mic isn't the issue...the amp the signal went through and speakers are.
    Trust me I record enough crap and tried every which way. That is simply useless...IMO of course.

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Been there done that too: different strokes.

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

Yes, they've had a few discussions here on those differences.
    :D
    First I've heard or read of it! Did I miss a previous thread on it? (I just searched every keyword with Germino and couldn't find anything.)
    More info, please! This is very cool news to me.

16. Ed DeGenaro

Same here John, that's why I like power amp crunch with the front end hit hard...
    Yes I have, and as with everything it works and sounds different than another way of turning down but still is turning down.

17. kindburro

kindburro Member

Don't know where the rumor started.....no wattage control on any Germino models at present or in the future that I am aware of!

Best to all,
    Greg G.

18. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

There are internet pixies that perform these acts. They take grains of truth and turn them into pearls of internet myth. :)

19. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

and I'm guessing you've got a pretty good connection to know about such things if they ever would happen.....
    ;)

Like I said, old school seems to be working pretty well for ya, Greg!
    :dude