Power Scaling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

So...I just got my reinhardt which has power scaling. I wasn't sold on PS after my initial foray into it. However, i'm really sold on it. I'd like to A/B it with an ultimate attenuator but at this point, I would say that it's perhaps the best way to get the cranked amp tone at lower volumes. The reinhardt amp clip I posted in the demo section yesterday utilized power scaling. I had the master and preamp volumes at about 2 O'Clock and the scaling at 12 O'Clock. Sounds pretty much like a cranked amp to me and the actual room volume was relatively low.

2. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

If Bob uses the same type of scaling that my Badger 30 has then I'm sure it works great, the only thing that affects the tone are the speakers not being pushed as hard.

3. jzucker

Yeah, he licenses the technology from KOC so I'm sure it's very similar to your badger in functionality.

4. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Jack, I know it's not your style, but I'd really like to now how your amp does with the higher gain tones. Do you feel that it has enough gain on tap to get into 80's rock territory with a boost in front?

5. jzucker

You talking Van Halen sounds? I'm game to try. What would you recommend ?

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

So is there a source for installing PS as an after market accessory?

7. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Van Halen, AC/DC, etc. I'm interested in how well the bottom end holds together with higher gain and if it compresses a lot or stays more open sounding.

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Welcome to the club, Jack.

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Interesting. Have you looked inside to see how Reinhardt integrates PS versus your previous amp?

10. jzucker

I have not yet. My rockytop had a 3rd party PS board that I bought off some guy on the amp garage forum. It was not licensed by KOC and used a different technology. It did not sound natural like the KOC circuit in the Reinhardt. It was grainy sounding by comparison.

You can buy the PS boards direct from KOC and several other folks including folks on the forum sell them as well. KOC also lists "approved" installers in the US for the technology...

11. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I spec'd my Rockytop with the PS option. I think Jesse uses the KOC kit. I'll take a look at the board and see. I understand some amp builders pay the license fee but have their own methods of integrating the PS function.
    If you do take a look inside, you know we all love gut shots. :)

12. jzucker

Just to be clear, the power scaling jesse installed for me was a board I purchased and sent with the amp to have installed. It was not the normal KOC licensed system he normally installs. I was trying to save money on the board and I guess you get what you pay for.

13. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I've got 2 amps with power scaling, and it's great. Look forward to a comparison with the attenuator.

How many W is the Reinhardt Plexi? Is it the 18w version??

14. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I can't imagine the power scaling being better that the Badger amps.

15. jzucker

Nobody said anything about better/best. It's the same technology in the badger and the reinhardt.

It's a 50 watter by the way.

16. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

I didn't mean that in a critical.comparative way. It is just in praise of the Suhr amps. The scaling is sooo seamless. Pretty impressive. I have never heard the Reinhardt.

Peace,
    T

17. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I understand. That's how I took your meaning.

18. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Keep in mind that amps with PS often sound best when they are designed for it from the ground up. I've found that retrofitting it gives mixed results.

19. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Jack, is this the same as the "vintage plexi" or "Plexi-plus" you've mentioned in recent threads...and are the "vintage plexi" and "plexi-plus" the same amp? I can't keep up with you man.:RoCkIn:dude;):AOK

20. goneracin

goneracin Member

I can probably help out here.......lol. Jacks amp is an experiment on my Vintage 50. I wanted to get it out and get some feedback on it. Its probably going to be an option on my V50, like the V50+ or something like that.

I have been doing a lot of work in the last few months to make the scaling work as naturally as I can get it. KOC's, and Danas (VVR) and all the rest all work very well, Ive just been working on getting the rest of the amp happy with the scaling in it. Some amps like the scaling much more than others, at least in my opinion.