Power sims

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dpgreek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Been using a tube amp into a load box into a Mooer Radar w only IRs loaded for some great tones which I love. Im shifting gears and plan to use tube preamps to be my amps so to speak. I think I will still use a tube combo amp via FX return for power section only /cab to be loud... but its the direct to PA/portability I need help with. Ive read good and bad on Mooer power sim. I dont mind it and think its good when Ive compared to my HX stomp.

Ive seen Nux and Torpedo Cab M.... are the power sims better? Any advice or suggestions welcome.

2. Ejay

Ejay Member

Id go for a Ir that resembles what your real speaker / amp does...keeps your stage and foh in line with eachother.
    My guess would be that with the right IR....radar can do that.

3. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Got that going already. But I don't want an amp on stage. Just direct board.

4. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I really like Atomic's power amp sim. And on the Amplifire you can select power sim only as amp model with a choice of 6L6, EL34, EL84 and KT88 power amp sound. Maybe you could use the AmpliFirebox as power amp sim and IR loader?

5. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

I can confirm that the Ampli-Firebox works well for this. I’ll run my Mesa amp fx sends into it and to interface/ headphones when I want to play them silently.

6. Dominik

Dominik Member

I've been using the CAB M since it was released for both power amp and cabinet simulation along with a tube preamp. I run two in stereo with separate double mic'd 4x12 IRs as part of a stereo w/d/w rig but that's another discussion and I'm only mentioning it because I wouldn't have bought a second one if the technology wasn't working for me.

Like anything you've got to experiment with it and let your ears guide you rather than your eyes. You might be set on 6L6 or EL34 based on real world experiences but discover KT88 sounds best.

I initially bought it thinking I'd only use it for recording but nearly a year on my cabinet is collecting dust. Yamaha HS8 speakers in the middle of the room have plenty of low end so I'm not missing the real thing.

dpgreek likes this.