Power Strips and Vintage Tube Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

This may be a silly question but I just picked up a SF Deluxe Reverb - any reason NOT to run it off an APC power strip in my home?

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

3. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

As long as that APC is NOS, you should be fine.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Tube amp? Those things are dead. No one uses them anymore. Get a Kemper or Eleven Rack or Axe FX. They are so much better.

Vive Le Revolucion

5. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Really? This is helping how?

6. cochese

As long as the amperage of everything your running doesn't exceed the rating of the power strip you'l be fine. Are you talking a standard strip or uninterruptible power supply. My amp tech informed me that those UPS type of supplies aren't the best for audio applications. I had all my studio gear hooked up to one and sure enough if I raised the volume in my DAW I could hear the background noise that was in the audio path. I only use it for my computer and hard drives and have all my other audio equipment plugged into a Furman PF-Pro.

I have an old Silver Face Deluxe that was modded to BF specs and those old amps for the most part are pretty forgiving if you've properly maintained them. Are you worried about something in terms of power.

7. Unadan

Unadan Member

I'm just using a standard surge protector type strip. Nothing fancy. Sounds like nothing to worry about.

8. cochese

You should be fine. The only time I really worry barring a lighting strike, is when we do outdoor shows off of a generator. Those can be tricky and I usually try to bring a multi-meter to check the voltage.