Power supplies: anything better than the Strymon Zuma?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phosphenetre, Jan 15, 2019.

1. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

If you don't need low profile, and your setup was for sure staying the same the Strymon Zuma will exactly fit the bill. However, you wouldn't be able to effectively power the HX Stomp unless you then added an Ojai or did something like run a Gigrig Isolator off of a tap for the low current pedals to free up an extra port or 2 for the Stomp.

That said, if you think you may end up grabbing the HX Stomp, you can save about $20, and end up with less weight by using a DC7 paired with a Gigrig Isolator to isolate all of your low current pedals on 1 tap. The isolator is $70 vs a high current addition like the Ojai or DC4 than run off of the 24v tap of the bigger boxes.

So you'd either have:

$249 Zuma

Tap 1- HX Effects
    Tap 2- HX Effects
    Tap 3- Amplifire Box
    Tap 4- low current analog
    Tap 5- low current analog
    Tap 6- low current analog
    Tap 7- low current analog
    Tap 8- 18v drive
    Tap 9- 18v comp

or

$229 DC7 + $69 Gigrig Isolator

DC7:
    Tap 1- HX Effects
    Tap 2- HX Effects
    Tap 3- HX Stomp
    Tap 4- HX Stomp
    Tap 5- Gigrig Isolator > 4 low current analog pedals
    Tap 6- 18v drive
    Tap 7- 18v comp

I've read some people have powered an HX Effects or HX Stomp off of a single 500ma tap on a CS12 or CS7 or CS6 as long as the total current draw of all pedals combined did not exceed the unit's maximum capable amount of supplied power. The CS12 has a max threshold of 3000ma which your pedals all combined (even if you had both the Stomp, and HX Effects) would likely not exceed, but I have also not read any reports of anyone effectively powering both with that unit either. It's $179 which would certainly make it the most affordable, but there's definitely no guarantee it will work. You could be the one to try it out and let the world if you're so inclined :D

That second option is cheaper than a Zuma R300 + Ojai expansion ($199 + $129), or Zuma + Ojai expansion. The downside is the Zuma + Ojai expansion would have free ports should you decide you want to expand more even more and all of them would be 500ma capable.

Just stuff to think about. If you think you're probably in the final stages of iterations of a board then either a Zuma by itself or the DC7 + Isolator will be great options to fit what you want, but which one would be better depends on whether you do make the switch to the Stomp or not.

2. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member

Being someone that hasn't bought a new power supply in years, do any of these newer supplies that you all are mentioning have an AC input like the old Voodoo Lab supplies, so you can plug your old AC-only pedals in as well? That's one of the reasons a PP2+ is still my main go-to supply. Love that feature.

FbIsNotE and Revelation like this.
  3. vibrostrat43

The new DC7 is similar to the Strymon Zuma, it receives power from a standard power cable and then converts that into 9v-18v pedal outputs and a 24vdc output to link to either the DC8 or DC4. These pedals accept only the 24v power input similar to the Ojai.

The DC10 link pedal in the link series is powered by a standard power cable, but uses a special 3 prong Cioks AC power cable to connect to the DC5 link.

The methods of powering the Link series and the newest Cioks series are different and not compatible.

Lamby likes this.
  4. vibrostrat43

The closest ones that I'm aware of are some of the Cioks older models (AC10, Ciokolate), or the Truetone CS12. The AC outputs on those can power most pedals that need AC power (all of them can supply 800ma 9v AC), but for something like a big-box DMM with the attached AC cord, or a pedal that exceeds the AC requirements of those outputs I'm afraid there isn't anything that I'm aware of.

Edit: misunderstood your question. No I don't know of any recent ones that have a courtesy outlet similar to a wall outlet like the PP2+ has. I think the Voodoo Labs Mondo has a courtesy outlet if you need more power than a PP2+ can provide and still need the outlet.

tapeup likes this.
  5. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member

Okay thank you for the detailed reply, that's what I was thinking of, have been using a PP2+ to power my old attached-cable DMM for a decade. I'll keep using this supply then, thanks.

6. Lamby

Lamby Member

Thanks for the info :aok

7. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

HX Stomp = 2 x 500ma
    Timeline = 300ma
    Ventris = 280ma
    Kingmaker = 150 ma
    Love Squeeze = 30-40ma

Other pedals = 250ma total

The CS6 only has 2 x 500ma outputs. Genuine question - how could I power the Timeline, Ventris and HX Stokp

I know someone says that as long as you don’t exceed the totally ma for the power supply it should be OK but that’s not a given?

8. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Gotcha. Seems like a question for the folks at Truetone.

9. Tootone

Tootone Member

Not sure why you'd have an HX and HX Stomp in the same rig?

Anyways... different slant.

You could get a Zuma and an Ojai R30, they're modular and will hook up to each other... the Ojai extends the Zuma... no need for Daisy Chains or tight squeezing.

10. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

Another +1 on the DC7. Just set it up on my board last week, it’s perfect for what I need. I think it would suit perfectly what you need, with 660mA on each outlet. Plus you score a USB outlet for charging your phone, or one of those silly USB fans or mug warmers or something.

11. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Hmmm. A bold and interesting statement. What is the technology that puts it above the competition?

Also, how many is a brazillian. :D

12. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

I don't know about the competition, but that's still a theme with Voodoo Labs supplies because the Mondo has it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Revelation likes this.
  13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

With the Ojai and the DC10 can you use the 24v link to power a pedal? Like say a T-rex Replicator that needs 24v at 300 mA?

14. vibrostrat43

To let the Stomp run multiple amps and cabs in parallel, and the HX Effects for up to 9 extra effects. It could be a whole rig by itself and be smaller than a Helix or Helix LT, and because of that they could more easily be on board integrated with other pedals. More expensive than an LT though. I've thought about running a Pedaltrain Metro 16 with just an HX Stomp and HX Effects, but decided against it (I didn't want to have to sell more pedals to make space and funds available, and I really like my drive pedals with my real amp more than the Helix drive effects into my amp).

15. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I looked at gigrig stuff out of curiousity while making my decision to get a Zuma - for the power requirements of my board (and factoring getting stuff to New Zealand), gigrig was going to work out at least twice the price of a Zuma. Different power requirements could definitely push the prices to be much more comparable, but as someone with over half their board being power hungry digital pedals, the Strymon supplies really are fit for purpose.

16. Frank67

Frank67 Member

That is totally true. For many power hungry digital pedals, the Strymon is the better choice. For my crazy studio setup, I have a mix of Strymon and GigRig power.

tobereleased likes this.
  17. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

moved from voodoo to strymon zuma last year due to mA needs. my noise floor magically improved - its not just internet fluff. strymon makes a great power supply.
    im so pleased i just bought the strymon ojai for a small board i built

Coheed likes this.
  18. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

If I hadn't reached a point of having too many high mA pedals, I would have happily just stuck with my hotstone deluxe - but it definitely seems like my noise floor has dropped with the Zuma. I imagine gigrig would also have a lower noise floor than the hotstone - it seems a great system, but it doesn't fit my needs well.

19. cutlunch

cutlunch Supporting Member

20. Steven

Steven Member

I´ve been using VL stuff for ages, and the 4x4 was powering my board for many years. Then suddenly it decided that it was a good idea to put out 21 VDc instead of 12 VDc and in the process it fried my Mini Vent. This is not said as a "bash Voodolabs" statment, I´ve been using their stuff without any problems for many years, and the 4x4 was getting kind of old and it had seen countless gigs. Anyways I bought a Strymon Zuma and IMO the Zuma has a few things that puts it ahead of the 4x4: It feels lighter than the 4x4, it has more power (500mA on 9 isolated outputs), its expandable (but that will be kind of costly) and - I think the Zuma is less prone to inducing proximity noise with certain pedals. The 4x4 had to be placed as far away as possible from some of my dirt pedals - and my Musicom switcher, otherwise the hum became very annoying. The Zuma seems to be dead quiet regardless of where I put it under my board.

Adagietto likes this.