Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TaterTaylor, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TaterTaylor

TaterTaylor Member

So, I have a One Spot from forever ago when my board was less complicated. Now I find it difficult to find ways for cables to reach all the pedals, hear hisses sometimes, and weird popping that I swear happens only when the congregation stands up all at once. Also my Holy Grail verb and Nova Delay sounds bad powered by it so I have to use their warts...

A couple questions

1) does everyone have issues with the One Spot?
    2) is it worth the extra cash to just get a brick? -if so does it matter which?

2. chervokas

chervokas Member

Other people will disagree with me but I think a switch mode power supply -- which is the type of power supply the One Spot is -- is never an ideal choice for anything related to audio. They produce a lot of EMF radiation that can be induced as noise and I think the switching noise also winds up on the line. In addition, when you're using a supply where you have to daisy chain, besides the possibility of having ground loops which are a source of hum, any pedals that generate line noise -- like a lot of digital pedals -- in the daisy chain will add noise to the whole signal chain.

IME you're best off with a linear power supply with isolated outputs -- like the Voodoo Labs PP2+ or Iso5 or the comparable Cioks units from the Cioks pro line.

3. Madsen

Madsen Member

yes. especially if yer using multiple pedals & haven't done the math.

most definitely. -depends on your setup.

take inventory of your pedals. make a lil chart with the voltage & mA requirements of each one. then buy a power supply that best meets those requirements. all my hiss/hum issues went away after doing this.

this is the best collection of power supply info i've found on the web.
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

i have PP2+, Fuel Tank Jr, & BBE Supa Charger & all three work great.
    happy hunting.

4. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I've had good results with using a 1-spot combo pack.
    At one point I used all 8 plugs including a tuner, delay, etc.

Now I use 6 plugs and make sure the un-used plugs have the plastic caps over them, else they pop if they touch metal or eachother.

I'd do some testing and would make sure it's not patch cables causing issues, or a specific pedal.

5. tommc

tommc Member

I suggest you search this forum for "supply", check 'titles only'. You will find more than 50 threads where this has been discussed.

6. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i used a couple one spots for a while... didn't think the pp2 was worth the money.

my first gig with the pp2... i realized how wrong i was before i even played a note.

much easier/cleaner to set up... and zero noise.

7. TaterTaylor

TaterTaylor Member

Thanks. I'm new so I don't know how to navigate around here

8. Goerman

Goerman Member