• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Power supply cap question: replacment values for old Fender

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Sprague Atoms or F&T's

I use either 80uf or 100uf in series, at least 350v. The 20/600's will not fit in the doghouse!

Nolatone Ampworks

Platinum Supporting Member
for safety, the voltages are important. You want to say fairly close to the uf values to maintain the feel of the amp.

As RussB suggests, you can use combinations of series and parallel to ge the values you need, just make sure you understand the formulas for series/parallel capacitance and voltage.

WaltC

right now I'd probably go w/ the 80uF/450 (two) and 20uF/500V's (three) from Antique Elec. just 'cause I'm working with F&Ts right now and having good luck. the Sprague 100uF/400's and 20uF/500's will probably do as well and can be had from either Hoffman or Antique Elec.

mbratch

You don't have to have exact values. The 80uF will work fine instead of 70uF, for example. It's commonly done.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
for safety, the voltages are important. You want to say fairly close to the uf values to maintain the feel of the amp.

As RussB suggests, you can use combinations of series and parallel to ge the values you need, just make sure you understand the formulas for series/parallel capacitance and voltage.
Final Question to all: so its ok if the old cap was rated at 525v to put in a 500v? It seems to be about the only way to go if the 600v wont fit in the dog house..

Thanks all.

Trending Topics