Power Supply help/recommendation

Hi,

I'd like to buy a power supply with isolated outputs for my pedals so I don't have to worry about ground loops. The problem I'm having is finding something that will fit the requirements of the pedals I have. I have an Amplifire 12 (arrived today), a Zoom G5, and a handful of analogue drive pedals, one of which can take up to 18v (Catalinbread Formula 5). I may also be looking to add/swap out pedals in future (as guitarists are prone to doing).

First of all, I was wondering if two isolated power supplies can be run in tandem. If so, it might make searching easier as I'd be able to search for power supplies that meet one requirement at a time. If not, can anyone suggest a power supply that can power the AF12, G5 and others?

I don't 100% understand isolating gear and what needs to be isolated. For example, if I was to use the ordinary power supply that came with the G5, would using an isolated power supply for the other pedals prevent a ground loop or does every pedal require isolation?

Morgancograve

9V 1a is a big whack of juice. You could always buy a power supply like a truetone cs12 and use a doubler cable to give it the required amps.

That would still leave plenty of taps to use your other pedals.

Broomz

Check this list if you haven't already:
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

The ones you can daisy chain (I.e don't need to be isolated) are usually small mA pedals like Boss, simple drives, tuner, etc. You'll probably want to isolate these bigger guys.

9V 1a is a big whack of juice. You could always buy a power supply like a truetone cs12 and use a doubler cable to give it the required amps.

That would still leave plenty of taps to use your other pedals.
Yeah, she's a hungry beast. So you're proposing I use a doubler on the two 500mA outputs for the Amplifire and another on the two 250mA outputs for the G5? Seems like it could/should work. I may double check by shooting them an email.

Morgancograve

Yep it would work. You might even get away with a single 250 for the zoom. There's not too many power supply's that have that much juice. The strymon Zuma does but is expensive.

A cheaper option might be get a smaller supply but run the amplifire from its wall wart plug and use a power board/strip under you pedalboard.

Check this list if you haven't already:
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

The ones you can daisy chain (I.e don't need to be isolated) are usually small mA pedals like Boss, simple drives, tuner, etc. You'll probably want to isolate these bigger guys.
If it will be quieter, I'd prefer to isolate as much as I can (within reason financially). I've also heard that digital pedals dump a lot of noise to ground, so I'd imagine it's important to have the G5 and Amplifire isolated.
Yep it would work. You might even get away with a single 250 for the zoom. There's not too many power supply's that have that much juice. The strymon Zuma does but is expensive.

A cheaper option might be get a smaller supply but run the amplifire from its wall wart plug and use a power board/strip under you pedalboard.
This raises the question in my mind again, what part of the chain actually requires isolation? By isolating one part of the signal chain, isn't that in itself breaking the ground loop?

Morgancograve

It can just be a tossup. Some people have no noise issues at all.

Some find humming, buzzing, high pitched whining happening everywhere.

Some people find digital stuff creates noise, I personally find using fuzz pedals on a traditional power supply makes a high pitched noise that goes away when using an isolated, grounded, power supply.

A trick I've used is running a daisy chain from one tap on the isolated output. You might have 100mA available, but you fuzz only draws 5 from it. By utilising this, you don't always get stumped by how many point you have. you can work out the noisy pedals and keep them isolated from the rest.

Broomz

If it will be quieter, I'd prefer to isolate as much as I can (within reason financially). I've also heard that digital pedals dump a lot of noise to ground, so I'd imagine it's important to have the G5 and Amplifire isolated.
There are many low-draw pedals, simple distortions, tone enhancers, compressors, tuner, where it will make no difference if you isolate them or not. Once you start adding in some of the bigger digital pedals you will get noise so these will need to be isolated. Use your ears.

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Isolate the 1a pedal. I have a feeling that guy will need its own walwart for eternity.

DaveKS

Isolate the 1a pedal. I have a feeling that guy will need its own walwart for eternity.

Yep, I'd get cs12 and then get this Y cable and use the supplied power adapter that Amplifire came with. Only other logical options are the Yankee power supplies or GigRig but your getting into big money there.

acy-website.jpg

-Empire

Gigrig can handle all of that easily. Let me know if you have any questions about this setup:
  • Generator
    • Distributor
      • Amplifire (this is how I did it and it works perfectly)
      • Timelord > Zoom G5 (only needs 9v 500mA center negative)
      • Isolator > Analog Pedals 1-4 up to 180mA per pedal
      • Isolator > Analog Pedals 5-8 up to 180mA per pedal
      • Doubler > Catalinbread Formula 5 (18v center negative)

Nice, thanks a lot guys. I have plenty of stuff to look at and research now.

I've tried using the Amplifire into the G5 so that I can use the looper (the Boss RC-30 annoyingly doesn't have a headphone output) and they seem to be working ok together, though I could swear the longer I play the noisier it becomes. I suspect the noise will increase when I add more pedals, so I'll check out some of the suggestions and decide what I'm willing to spend.

Gigrig can handle all of that easily. Let me know if you have any questions about this setup:
  • Generator
    • Distributor
      • Amplifire (this is how I did it and it works perfectly)
      • Timelord > Zoom G5 (only needs 9v 500mA center negative)
      • Isolator > Analog Pedals 1-4 up to 180mA per pedal
      • Isolator > Analog Pedals 5-8 up to 180mA per pedal
      • Doubler > Catalinbread Formula 5 (18v center negative)
Which high current adapter did you use for the Amplifire?

Looks like the Gigrig gear might be my best bet. I'm a big fan of that pedal show too, so my money will be going to someone I like.

While the Yankee seems easier to use and I like the variable output feature, I think it will be more expensive and it will probably ship with an EU plug (I live in the British Channel Islands). While the EU plug isn't a big deal, it's just really annoying. I already have a bunch of EU plugs I have no use for (because I've used a UK replacement) or have had to use an adapter for because stuff has shipped with them (including the Amplifire).

-Empire

Which high current adapter did you use for the Amplifire?

Looks like the Gigrig gear might be my best bet. I'm a big fan of that pedal show too, so my money will be going to someone I like.

While the Yankee seems easier to use and I like the variable output feature, I think it will be more expensive and it will probably ship with an EU plug (I live in the British Channel Islands). While the EU plug isn't a big deal, it's just really annoying. I already have a bunch of EU plugs I have no use for (because I've used a UK replacement) or have had to use an adapter for because stuff has shipped with them (including the Amplifire).
Just plug the amplifire directly into the distributor. If it's the only non-isolated pedal you shouldn't have any noise issues. I did this with my board with probably 8 other pedals and it was just fine, no noise.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom