• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

POWER SUPPLY QUESTIONS

SteelyDannyBoy

Gold Supporting Member
As I usually mention in posts, I'm not particularly tech/electronic-savvy.
I have some CIOKS power supply units, and a Decibel 11, and generally it seems that there's a way to get 18V from two 9V outlets, with special cables. What I'm not clear on is this: if each of those 9V outlets is, say, 100mA, do I understand correctly that this would NOT give me 200mA as well as the 18V? Is it (in this example) either 200mA or 18V? Is there any way to get both?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jo-Jo Beans

Either 18V OR 200 mA is correct in this case. When connected in parallel (both side by side), circuits will keep their voltage and add their amperage (technically, they'll do weird things if you add say, 5V and 9V, but since they're both 9V you don't have to worry about that).

When connected in series (one after the other), amperage stays the same and voltages add together.

To connect in series, you connect the positive end of one outlet into the negative end of the second outlet, then use the positive of the second outlet and the negative of the first outlet as your in/out. For parallel, you connect the two positive ends together and the two negative ends together. Unless you're into jury-rigging the jacks together, you'd have to have special plugs for both situations.

In order to get both 18V and 200 mA, you'd have to connect four outlets together - two in parallel and two in series.

Jo-Jo Beans

That disaster area device is probably a miniature charge pump - it essentially pulls voltage positive and then negative really quickly in order to "double" the voltage. The thing is, most charge pumps operate at about 10,000 cycles a second, or 10 kHz - well within the range of human hearing and liable to be picked up by your amp. I dunno if that device has a nice set of noise chokes in it or if you have a noise gate pedal you could use, but just be aware of potentially increased hiss in your amp if you use this.

P.s. It won't increase the power to 100 mA unless your supply is already 100 mA. If it's only an 80 mA supply, it'll output 80 mA, etc.

yawiney

Thanks. I would be using a 9v 100ma output trying to get 18v 100ma. If it would add any noise though, it's not worth it.

Jo-Jo Beans

It's worth trying. It potentially has internal noise-defeating circuitry so the noise won't be a big deal. In my case I have a Mutron III that runs on 18V and a Fuzz Face that's positive ground, so I can't hook either of those up to my power supply. I just use batteries on those.

yawiney

there are reverse polarity jumpers from Godlyke and others that would probly work between your psu and the fuzz-face.

SteelyDannyBoy

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies.
I would be using the special ("flex") cable that CIOKS has available; two outlets converging into one plug for the pedal.
I'd need 200mA and 18V, so the one solution wouldn't work (if I'm following right).

SteelyDannyBoy

Gold Supporting Member
Poojalooba_cow, your description helped me find just what I need from CIOKS - they offer a special series Flex cable that will give me 18V (from two 9V outlets), but because those outlets are 200mA, I can get all that I need. Thanks very much!

Jo-Jo Beans

there are reverse polarity jumpers from Godlyke and others that would probly work between your psu and the fuzz-face.
Thanks for the info. Good to know Godlyke makes something like that. The problem is it'd have to be an isolated power supply. If I daisy-chained it, the positive ground would interfere with every other pedal in the chain if there were any jitters in the reference voltage. Which there would be, with old leaky germanium transistors.

I know I really SHOULD have an isolated PSU, but I make all of my own pedals from scratch, so I add an extra diode and a capacitor to ground after the power jacks of all of my pedals. So it makes a quasi-isolation that filters any extra voltage jitter and avoids ground loops that can cause extra noise in a normal daisy chain. Maybe I'll make my own isolated power supply next! Ha ha.

Poojalooba_cow, your description helped me find just what I need from CIOKS ... Thanks very much!
Happy to help! Glad you got it figured out.

Trending Topics