Power supply to reduce noise?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ilsenhab, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Ilsenhab

Ilsenhab Member

Hey Guys,

Two questions in one post – hoping that a power supply could answer/fix both – forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject.

1. I currently have a Line 6 M9 on a mini true bypass looper to reduce the noise it produces when engaged. I’ve tried using the line 6 power supply instead of the godlyke, but it doesn’t really reduce the overall noise of my board…

2. I’m planning on getting a Big Sky for the end of my chain. Will it be noisy with the godlike? Should

Current pedal line up:

Gtrs…Pitchblack Tuner -> Vox Wah -> BYOC 5knob comp -> Hardwire CM2 -> TB Looper (M9) -> DLS MK3 (18V) -> EP Booster -> Boss DD20 -> GE-7…2 HRDlxs in stereo.

Power supply – Godlyke Powerall Deluxe.

Thanks in advance!

2. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

is your noise caused by gain from the line 6? if not, a good power supply might help. check out the voodoo labs and t-rex offerings.

3. 31337

31337 Member

show us demo of your noise.

big line6 boxes needs 9V AC power supply (not DC), and about 1.3Amps of currency, separate off all other pedals.

4. Viral_Rock

Viral_Rock Member

Did you use the Line 6 power supply for the M9 only? Or did you still daisy chain it with your other effects? I'd start by trying the godlyke for everything except the M9, and using a separate power supply for the M9.

If that doesn't help I'd suggest looking into an isolated power supply as suggested by teefus.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems unlikely the true bypass looper is reducing noise on the M9 when you're using it. The loop might reduce noise when it's not engaged if it has a poor bypass design though.

5. Ilsenhab

Ilsenhab Member

I only use modulation pitch and delay from the M9, but when I engage the pedal (click on the TB loop), I immediately get a 3-6db hum and pulsing sound in time with the M9 tap tempo light. When I turn on overdrive before or after, it is louder (naturally).

Like I said, I tried using the power supply that came with the M9, the Px-2 or whatever it's called, for the M9 only, but the noise persists. The TB Loop is still on the Godlyke daisy chain though...

The TB looper doesn't reduce noise when it's engaging the M9, but when it removes it from the signal path in TB mode, then I don't get the hum and pulsing (as it should work).

6. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I couldn't believe how much quieter my setup was after getting a voodoo lab. The memory man hazari sounded 1000 times better.

7. coolhandluc

coolhandluc Member

You should definitely get a new power supply. I run a M9 and DD-20 among other things and I have zero noise. I use CIOKS. Top notch stuff.

8. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The M9 has a voltage converter and can be powered via DC or AC like the DL4. The problem is that it requires more mA than most DC powered effects units. There are PSUs that can power the M9 at DC, but you would have to use a current doubler in most cases. Look into the Cioks line though, as they have PSUs that have AC Like the AC8, AC10, etc. that can easily power the M9 and a Strymon big box.

9. Ilsenhab

Ilsenhab Member

Looking into the Cioks as its slimmer and has more outputs for the price vs voodoo.

Thanks guys - you rock!

10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Definitely get a good isolated power supply. It's one of the best investments you can make.