Power Supply VS Batteries

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, May 27, 2008.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I'm curious to know if people have gone back to batteries after using a pedal power or similar, because they prefer the tone?

what pedals sound better with batteries as opposed to a Pedal Power like device... Fuzzes are the obvious one but are there any others; wahs, ts's etc...?

2. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I use batteries with all my dirt pedals. Some display noticable difference between batteries and using a power supply, while the difference in others in more subtle, but in all cases, the louder you play, the more obvious the differences become. Generally speaking, the pedals seem to sound more "amp-like" and less compressed using batteries - just a slightly more natural tone. It wouldn't bother me a lot to use the power supply - in the end the differences tend to be very subtle. I don't think I would be in the middle of a gig and say to myself "Geewhiz, I need to go buy some batteries 'cause my rig is sounding like poo!" or anything like that, but like a few other corksniffers around here, I am always trying to get a little bit extra out of my pedal setup.

I do stick dummy plugs in the 9v jacks when not using the pedalboard to save on battery life, and to keep me from having to disassemble the board constantly to change batteries. I will generally change out my batteries every month or two anyway - when a battery starts to wear down, you will hear it, and it is usually not a pleasant tone! Finally, I use the cheap carbon batteries I get at the dollar store. These are supposed to sound better than alkaline batteries, but to be honest, I have not been able to hear a difference - but the carbon batteries are much cheaper and seem to last just about as long.

3. meterman

meterman Member

I've been using Pedal Power power supplies for everything except fuzz for years and wouldn't do it any other way. Any minor difference in tone is far outweighed by the convenience, cheaper longterm cost, and environmental responsibility of not using batteries. Just my $.02

4. grado

grado Member

The Java boost sounds way better with batteries, so much so that Keeley even says so on his site.

I guess it's basically a fuzz type of circuit so that's not a big shock...

5. FAC

FAC Member

I find that my Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wah sounds better with a battery. However, I have not tried it with a fancy power supply, just the 'one spot'. The high end is noticeably harsher with the power supply for some reason, especially with the pedal pressed all the way forward. It is first in my chain, so I just unplug the guitar cable when I am done so I don't drain the battery.

6. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

I used my Furman SPB8 and never looked back - quite honestly never had a chance to compare though.

7. jw112

jw112 Member

i only like my Tremolessence with battery.

8. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

i've noticed wah sounds a lot more organic and less harsh using a battery

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just a swerve, not a hijack, but have any of you "batteries rule" guys compared something like the "sag" control on the pedal power 2+? i personally have always used power supplies, so i can't really say.