• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Power Transformer in a Princeton Reverb?

mingo

What will an upgraded power transformer from Allen Amps in a Princeton Reverb do for tone, headroom, and volume??

Ding

Power transformer sends electrical power to the output section of the amp but it's the Output transformer that will affect tone. I love Mercury Magnetics trannys. Have them in 4 Fender amps with a major upgrade in tone.

mingo

Power transformer sends electrical power to the output section of the amp but it's the Output transformer that will affect tone. I love Mercury Magnetics trannys. Have them in 4 Fender amps with a major upgrade in tone.
Thanks, I have an Allen output transformer in already, it helped a lot.

Will a power transformer increase headroom or volume? Anyone know?

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
The T020 OT, that I think you're talking about, doesn't make you amp much louder(increased headroom), from what I've read from the guys who did the mod. What they've said is that it allows you to use the bass control more effictively as the T020 cures the flubby bottom end, and adds clarity to your high end. Don't think it will get much louder, but the tone is supposedly better with the stock spkr. In fact, after doing the OT mod, most guys like the stock spkr.. I'm thinking of trying this also in my PRRI, but I'm holding out for now, as I changed the spkr. to a Scumback SA75HT 30watt. Ceramic 10 and it sounds so much better now. Also did some Brimar 6v6's, and a NOS GE 12ax7 in V1.

Ding

It's my opinion that the PT would only make a difference if the original has a problem with it. You would need to have a tech measure the voltages in the power section of the amp. If the voltages are low then put the new one in. If the voltages are up to spec then it's probably not worth the change. For more headroom and output, make sure you have tried different tubes. I've found JJ's have helped all my Fender amps in that direction.

Trending Topics