Power tube touching bell cover of replacement speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jpervin, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

Tonight I removed a Weber Sig 12 from my tweed Deluxe clone and installed a Weber Blue Dog. I didn't have much clearance between the end of the bell cover on the Sig and the 6V6 adjacent to it (probably 3/16"). Now, since installing the Blue Dog, I've discovered that there's no clearance between its bell cover and the tube.
    Is this gonna create a problem with the hot tube touching the cover?
    Can the cover be removed if need be?

2. DC1

DC1 Member

You do not want the tube touching the speaker. Heat expansion and contraction, vibration, and the focussing of heat in one place will make the tube fail.

Call Weber, but you should be able to take the cover off. Otherwise you can remount the speaker screws in a new place. All you need is a little clearance.

DC

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

You could take off the bell or if there is room, you can front mount the speaker.

4. kimock

kimock Member

Just scratch out the center of the label and there's a big flat head screw there. It'll come out real easy and you'll get plenty of clearance with the cover off. Not a problem.

:)

5. jpervin

jpervin Member

I've never noticed a flat screwhead on the end of any speaker's bell cover... :confused:

6. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

do what KIMOCK said.............its a common problem with several combos, once the covers off should have plenty of room

....now getting weber frames to clear the OT/PT? on bassman ri's is a whole different issue