1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Power Tubes for Vox AC-30?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by goodwillsteve, Sep 28, 2006.

1. goodwillsteve

goodwillsteve Member

Hello all,
    My first post but have been a lurker for weeks now. I bought a used mid-90s Korg made AC-30 reissue a few months ago which came with old GE power tubes. I'm thinking one has gone bad or they're just plain worn out and I want to replace them. I've used Groove Tubes in the past but I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions to what may work better. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers! -Stephen

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Welcome to the 90's AC30 club, and welcome to the gear page. :AOK You'll find there are many of us on here who really love this particular amp.

As for tubes: I have a 93 Korg, and it sounds great with just some plain and simple, Sovtek Ei "silver bullet" EL84's. I just think they kick the amp up a notch from all the others I've tried, and since that was what was originally in these amps, thats what I stick with.

For other info, Im using a JJ rectifier (I replaced when I recentlly retubed) and my preamp is comprised entirely of groove tubes (retubed about 3-4 years ago).

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

AC30s are hard on power tubes, every single bit of trouble mine has given me has been EL84 based. Some nice 'NOS' examples would really help your amp to shine and may well last longer than current production tubes.

Original 'Tesla' EL84s (Not JJ) are great in a Vox, with nice break up which comes reasonably early on the dial. Philips Mini-watt are cleaner tubes, with more chime and these would probably be my favourite EL84 tone. Brimar also made excellent tubes, likely to be expensive, but you get what you pay for as they say.

Also, be sure to swap the phase inverter preamp tube for a balanced 12ax7, I'm told this is essential to getting the best from a new set of matched power tubes in the AC30.

4. goodwillsteve

goodwillsteve Member

Thanks for the info guys. Also, all my trannies were replaced with Mercury Magnetics AC30 reproduction ones. Just like braggin' about that. haha. Yeah, I think it's time to retube the whole thing. I really have no idea what's in the preamp section. Haven't taken the time to look.

5. reverber8

reverber8 Member

Nice amp goodwillsteve. I've got a mid 90's Korg Vox AC15TB. I've retubbed it many times with tubes from Bob at Eurotubes. Bob is a great guy and I've never had a problem in the many times I dealt with him. Good prices, a wealth of knowledge and fast shipping! Ring him up or shoot him an email and he'll recommend what tubes will work the best based on the sound you're looking.

http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm

6. Tapp

Tapp Member

Call Lord Valve NBS electronics and ask him about the russian tubes that he sells that are an "industrial" EL84. They supposedly last longer than most 84's and he recommends them for AC30's. I've got a quad in my 90's AC30 and they work well.

Tapp

7. DavidH

DavidH Member

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Hey David, thanks for sharing. could you fix the link?

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

11. DavidH

DavidH Member

I fixed the links already,had one too many http//'s in there,oops.

It's basically a comparison between NOS and modern EL84s,NOS seems to win it hands down,no suprise,Mullards in particular.Horses for courses though.Brian May uses the Harma STRs in his Ac30s apparently,high gain with less bottom end than the mullards.

12. Teahead

Teahead Member