POWER: Using a Gig Rig Isolator on Voodoo Labs Digital?

riversisblue

I really like the gig rig power but it is expensive and just not needed for my application. I really want some very basic flexibility which got me thinking...The Voodoo Labs Digital has enough juice to power my 2 power hungry digital pedals but I need power for 4 low power (-100ma) pedals and wished they were isolated. I saw the gig rig isolator and thought I could run it off of one of the high powered outputs (400ma) on the PPDigital and I would have another 4 isolated taps each running 100ma. Will this work?

riversisblue

FYI, for anyone that cares, I ended up purchasing the isolator and it works perfectly out of the 400ma 9v output of the Pedal Power Digital. This gives me A TON of flexibility. In fact, I was able to run to of the outputs together which gave me 18volts for my Diamond Compressor. Couldn't be happier!

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
If I run an isolator off an 18V tap on a Strymon Zuma, can I get 4 isolated 18V outs?

What is the max current mA from each isolated output on the isolator?

DaveKS

If I run an isolator off an 18V tap on a Strymon Zuma, can I get 4 isolated 18V outs?

As far as I know Isolator only takes 9v input. Might be ? better asked of Gigrig support.

LSMFT6

We brake for nobody
Silver Supporting Member

The 18V trick probably won't work. Each output is limited to around 170mA, IIRC

Kasdaddy

Anyone have a gunshot of the isolator? Interested in how it works and if it might fit in my rig.

DaveKS

Anyone have a gunshot of the isolator? Interested in how it works and if it might fit in my rig.
No gut shots that I know of, I'm certainly not gonna bust mine apart. :D

It basically takes up to 720ma Max of 9v and splits it out into 4-180ma Max 9v isolated outputs. On output side you can configure it to do 18v if desired by ganging 2 of the outputs.

I've run it on as low as one of the 300ma taps on my TRex Chameleon and it works fine, just have to remember the 300ma of Chameleon is the limiting factor not the isolator. What little current draw isolator has I'm sure is taken from supply side input. It's a dandy little device for adding a few more isolation points from your current power supply.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
From Gig rig directly:

"Unfortunately the Isolator's along with the rest of the GigRigs modular power supplies have been designed specifically to work with the Generator. As a result of this I cannot guarantee the Isolator will work as designed when powered via any Third party power supplies. This is partly because the Isolator's give out up too 180mA's per output
So 4 x 180mA's = 720mA's @ 9v's
If you underpowered them they won't function as designed and may cause more Noise/hiss/hum than without the Isolator."

Has anyone experienced more noise using an isolator with a different power supply?

I have some pedals I currently daisy chain and while I don't think I'm getting any added noise, I'd prefer to isolate just to be sure. Would also like to run one of these pedals at 18V so the isolator could allow for that.

-Empire

From Gig rig directly:

"Unfortunately the Isolator's along with the rest of the GigRigs modular power supplies have been designed specifically to work with the Generator. As a result of this I cannot guarantee the Isolator will work as designed when powered via any Third party power supplies. This is partly because the Isolator's give out up too 180mA's per output
So 4 x 180mA's = 720mA's @ 9v's
If you underpowered them they won't function as designed and may cause more Noise/hiss/hum than without the Isolator."

Has anyone experienced more noise using an isolator with a different power supply?

I have some pedals I currently daisy chain and while I don't think I'm getting any added noise, I'd prefer to isolate just to be sure. Would also like to run one of these pedals at 18V so the isolator could allow for that.
Used isolators and high current adapters on many different boards with 1spot, works fine.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
I have an outlet with 100mA 9VDC

Can I use an isolator to split it to 3 pedals:

pedal 1: wah (6mA when on)
Pedal 2: tuner (max 60 mA)
Pedal 3: buffer (2 isolated taps to create a single 18V tap - max 20mA)

Since the outlet is only 100mA might this be an issue?

DaveKS

I have an outlet with 100mA 9VDC

Can I use an isolator to split it to 3 pedals:

pedal 1: wah (6mA when on)
Pedal 2: tuner (max 60 mA)
Pedal 3: buffer (2 isolated taps to create a single 18V tap - max 20mA)

Since the outlet is only 100mA might this be an issue?
Don't know, never tried it with less than a 300ma tap. It works fine with that in my uses.

But are you really ready to throw $70 at a problem that your not really sure exists. I'd try running wah, tuner etc on batteries and see if you get improvement in noise floor over daisy chain. That way you'll know.

Trending Topics