• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

poweramp advice needed please

E

eviltoaster

i'm going to build a nice rack for me:
i bought a used h&k access with soundmod.B and version 2.01 and probably a g-major for effects (don't laugh,it think it's great for me,because it even has an acceptable tuner) and first time i will play it over my engl fireball poweramp (effectloop is parallel with wet/dry knob...not so perfect).

i really think i will like the tone of the access more because since some time i'm getting bored of the overcompressed fireball-sound and realized it simply doesn't cut when i'm playing with my metalcore-band(touches of technical-metal included).
now i'm searching for great poweramps!best would be mono/brigeable ones (i know they are not many..) because my main-cab is only mono (but killer,2 v30 and 2 evoice like customs) and my second is a behringer Wink . (or poweramps jo can turn one side really off like the 9200)
tone preferences are 6L6GC for the bottom! (sevenstring) i think i need 100 watts mono (bridged OR per side when i use one) to get enough headroom (fireball has to less,too).i really like crunshy highgain.
 

ccoker

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,830
I have had most of them
my favorite hands down was the older Seymour Duncan KTG 2100
2x100 via KT88s
focus/damping control for the feel of the amp

this thing just sounds huge and so 3 d and open
out of production but built like a brick

HC reviews

these guys have one according to this search and are my local
shop.... tell them Charles Coker sent you if you inquire
good guys

Grez
 
E

eviltoaster

my opinion was the randall rt2/50 because it has some rockin features like using it 50+50=100 watts mono and can use el34,6l6s and kt88 per side because it has a nice bias control etc etc!!
and it sounds great from what i have heared....mhmh 2xkt88 and 2 el34 should sound very nice together
 

dave s

Member
Messages
6,434
Just about the biggest power plant known to guitaristman would have to the Mesa 2:90. 90w of power x two channels.

Plus, you can turn your rack around and have an instant light show with no fewer than EIGHT 6L6s glowing from the power amp.

I used a 2:90 when playing on large outdoor stages for the clean headroom and total 'cut-through-the-mix' clarity. And I still only used one side of the amp 90+% of the time.

No real problems other than baking through a set of tubes about every 100-120 hours of use.

You want the ultimate? I don't know of a more 'ultimate' power amp in terms of tone and clarity.

dave
 
E

eviltoaster

is it ok for the poweramp only to use one side?i mean running the other side standby without any load on it
 

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
12,316
I recommend you just try as many amps as you can get your hands on. Mixing and matching pres and power amps is a hit and miss science IMHO. Some preamps may sound like crap through one power amp, and like a million bucks through another. How your preamp compresses and distorts the signal may be a big influence in your needs. Playing through a clean solid state PA power amp may give some indication of how much power tube compression you may want to add. If the distortion is too raw, you may need a power amp that adds a lot of harmonic dimension. I wouldn't do the ebay thing, you may be very disappointed.
 
E

eviltoaster

it's a difficult thing to do this here in germany,but i think it shouldn't be a prob with one of the more modern voiced poweramps...and the randall only has 2x50 or 50watts :( (but tube selector then..)...a pity
seems like i have to have a fat mesa (but will test 9200 marshall with 6l6,too)
 

amper

Member
Messages
1,563
Originally posted by eviltoaster
is it ok for the poweramp only to use one side?i mean running the other side standby without any load on it
Yes, but makes sure you have your volume turned all the way down on the unused side, and alternate sides to help balance to usage pattern.
 

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
29,324
I think you can safely use the Mesa with only one side plugged in? IT is a killer sounding power amp with lots of options for how you voice it...
 
E

eviltoaster

it has a 2 standby switches and a main power....a marshall 9200 has 2 power-on switches
 

chedgeco

Member
Messages
110
With the Mesa 2:90 you need to turn the volume all the way down and the presence all the way up on the unused channel.

I did that for a while and then I went stereo. Sounds great either way but stereo is just so cool.

Chris... :cool:
 

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
29,324
Originally posted by chedgeco
With the Mesa 2:90 you need to turn the volume all the way down and the presence all the way up on the unused channel.

I did that for a while and then I went stereo. Sounds great either way but stereo is just so cool.

Chris... :cool:
Why?
 

amper

Member
Messages
1,563
Originally posted by drbob1
Why?
Turning the presence all the way up maximizes the negative feedback. Probably helps with controlling possible oscillations resulting from unintentional capacitive coupling between the two sides.

Or I could just be making this up...
 

flicker180

Member
Messages
778
Originally posted by eviltoaster
i'm going to build a nice rack for me:
i bought a used h&k access with soundmod.B and version 2.01 and probably a g-major for effects (don't laugh,it think it's great for me,because it even has an acceptable tuner) and first time i will play it over my engl fireball poweramp (effectloop is parallel with wet/dry knob...not so perfect).

i really think i will like the tone of the access more because since some time i'm getting bored of the overcompressed fireball-sound and realized it simply doesn't cut when i'm playing with my metalcore-band(touches of technical-metal included).
now i'm searching for great poweramps!best would be mono/brigeable ones (i know they are not many..) because my main-cab is only mono (but killer,2 v30 and 2 evoice like customs) and my second is a behringer Wink . (or poweramps jo can turn one side really off like the 9200)
tone preferences are 6L6GC for the bottom! (sevenstring) i think i need 100 watts mono (bridged OR per side when i use one) to get enough headroom (fireball has to less,too).i really like crunshy highgain.
make sure you go over the the gmajor forum as they have created some software that makes the GMajor incredibly more useful.

http://www.flickerdown.com/gmajor/

dave
 

oxtone

Member
Messages
5,038
Years ago at the NAMM Show I asked Bob Bradshaw what power amp he recommended, and he right away said the Boogie Simul 2:90, so I got one, and it's been my workhourse for years, and I always get good compliments on my tone. I use it with a Boogie Studio preamp, but I use a Radial Tonebone Classic for all my distortion sounds now, and it sounds great with this rig.

I also run in stereo, as I sometimes use stereo effects, like Delay.

Some guys really like the VHT power amps - they sound huge.

I wholeheartedly agree with gulliver that you try your preamp with as many power amps as you can. He is right - certain preamps sound great with one power amp, but bad with another. For example, I tried my Marshall JMP-1 with the 2:90, and it sounded like crap. It just wasn't a good match with the Marshall. Two totally different voicings. But I've read reviews where the Boogie 20/20 sounds good with the JMP-1.
 

amper

Member
Messages
1,563
Well, Bob Bradshaw certainly knows his stuff...

Any of the Mesa or VHT power amps would be a worthy addition to your rig. I really regret selling my 20/20.
 
E

eviltoaster

i'm little bit biased on the marshall 9200 (rel.cheap but nice) and the mesa 2:90 because they use 6L6 and sound quite acceptable :cool:

anybody has any experiences with the hughes and kettner access and these poweramps?
 

DiPa

Constant GAS
Messages
15,820
I have had most of them
my favorite hands down was the older Seymour Duncan KTG 2100
2x100 via KT88s
focus/damping control for the feel of the amp

this thing just sounds huge and so 3 d and open
out of production but built like a brick

HC reviews

these guys have one according to this search and are my local
shop.... tell them Charles Coker sent you if you inquire
good guys

Grez
Bumping and found this thread from few years ago, I have a Seymour Duncan KTG100 stereo power amp that I purchased way back around 2000 time frame, had it in a rack system with a Mesa preamp recording amp and used it for a year, forgot to sell it, shelved it and I am now just getting it out of the vault.
Anyone using something like this?
I need to play this rig again and see if we can bond together.
 

DiPa

Constant GAS
Messages
15,820
Bumping and found this thread from few years ago, I have a Seymour Duncan KTG100 stereo power amp that I purchased way back around 2000 time frame, had it in a rack system with a Mesa preamp recording amp and used it for a year, forgot to sell it, shelved it and I am now just getting it out of the vault.
Anyone using something like this?
I need to play this rig again and see if we can bond together.
KTG2100 is what I meant, had a typo above
 




Top Bottom