Poweramp/cab for my modeller

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Moe45673, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Yes, and, in fact, I absolutely recommend sticking to TS cables, because the MIC-IN has phantom on it that cannot be turned off, and it's way too easy to end up with an XLR in the wrong combo jack. I do use XLR cables, but ONLY into the LINE-IN combo jack (no phantom there).

I can see why some folks would prefer the YP for the wood cabinet, but, in my case, I needed the coax configuration to be able to tolerate the horn at close range. Try both, see what works for you.

Are you looking for a guitar monitor (i.e., backline) or a full band monitor (i.e., wedge)? I managed to convince my local L&M to bring in a Tech 21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe (ignoring the "special-order-only" status these things seem to have), and, as a backline solution, it is amazing. It sounds huge, has amazing presence, and, for my money, it eats the Power Cab for lunch. But it's not a wedge, and if you need floor monitoring, I'd still recommend the NX10c (or the YP-10).

Moe45673 likes this.
  2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks!

I prefer to use it as a backline. Traditionally, i used a combo amp (2x10) and put it on a chair or some other elevated platform behind me.

What are the real world effects of plugging a Passive DI-out xlr to a line input? What about to the phantom mic input, would that be bad for it (i know ribbon mics are notorious for their reactions to phantom power).

The YX utilizes mostly 1/4" trs jacks. Is this ok for going direct to mixer? What if i plug my TS cable into the trs line in, or if i use a trs cable out of my modeller?

3. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Welcome!
    Not sure I completely understand what you're asking, but, in the case of the NCX10C, you wouldn't, because the NX10 accepts line level 1/4" TS.
    Depends on the device. I know the Atomics do NOT like phantom power. At all.
    The YX will likely convert to unbalanced if you plug in a TS. But use a TRS to link out to your mixer, and that should be fine.

Moe45673 likes this.
  4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I beg to differ!
    [​IMG]

My question is what if I feed a mic level XLR to a Line Level XLR, essentially. Is that preferable to feeding an instrument cable to a Line Level TRS or an instrument cable to a Mic level TRS?

You mean the atomic DIs?

That's what I thought. Thanks!

5. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

There's more than enough adjustment range between the modeler and the input control that it probably won't matter at all which path you go. Looking at that back panel you have both XLR line and mic options.

I like using XLR if available simply because the connections are more solid and the cables reject noise better.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  6. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Those inputs are combo jacks, they do accept 1/4" cables.
    Mic level is much lower than line level, so you might not get much volume. But if you take the DI out of the equation, you have line level, so no issues.

I mean the Atomic Amplifires. They (can) blow up if you phantom them.

Moe45673 likes this.
  7. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

What GuitarDave said x3!

By the way, the bottom XLR is also line level, not Mic...

Moe45673 and Guitardave like this.
  8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I think our wires got crossed

Me: What are the real world effects of plugging a Passive DI-out xlr to a line input?
    You: in the case of the NCX10C, you wouldn't, because the NX10 accepts line level 1/4" TS.
    Me: But it accepts XLR (too)!

Sounds like I can just go from modeller to Line input using TS cable. What I meant was I have a DI that converts my signal to Mic level (with XLR), so I could use that if needed. Just asking about my options, no worries.

Thank you Joe and Dave for your input!

9. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Okay, I get it now. The Line In accepts both 1/4" and XLR at line level; the Mic in accepts line level 1/4" and Mic level XLR (the Mic XLR has 48V phantom).

I was saying you don't need a DI, because the amp accepts 1/4" line.

Then, I would not plug the DI into the Line XLR, because it will be mic level, but you could get an active DI and plug it into/power it from the Mic XLR. I can highly recommend the very affordable and surprisingly decent Behringer active DIs if you do that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Moe45673 likes this.
  10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thank you for your answer! The part I bolded was the data I was looking for but that doesn't lessen how valuable I find the rest of this post and all your posts

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

So for anyone still waiting on an answer, I ended up going with a Boss Nextone Stage plus a Digitech CabDryVr which I will use with my Catalinbread SCP, modeller, and DI box.

I got the Nextone because it sounds damned good and is loud enough to use as a monitor (plug everything into the FX Return). I got the Stage because it's significantly cheaper, but also it's crazy small and light (smaller and lighter than a Katana-100 112 Combo). I got the CabDryVr because it allows for wet/dry outputs at a reasonable price (it also works with bass which I have been known to play in bands. Everyone thinks I'm good at it except for real bass players :D ).

I am not gigging anytime soon and a jam with a drummer is also not in the forseeable future. I have a 30-day return thing if I decide to upgrade to the Nextone Artist but I just don't see the benefit in it.

12. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

go look for a used dt25/50 by line 6 or find a spidervalve mk2 2-12 combo cheap. the tube section in that amp is crazy good

13. 2+2=5

2+2=5 Member

a Loudster from Hotone plus a decent 1x12 cab

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]