• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Poweramp for modelers: Mesa, Fryette, or Duncan, and why?

waygorked

I'm liking what I get out of my AX8 into my Duncan Powerstage 700, but still can't shake the feeling that a great modeling preamp into a great tube power amp is the best of all options. I'm looking at picking up either a Mesa 2:50 or a Fryette LXII. Other than the form factor, these seem to be pretty much the same amp. Is there any compelling reason to go with one over the other? Has anyone done an A/B with either of these and a Powerstage?

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
I used to have one of these
e6hnxqmwwgzho6ydlsq8.jpg

It was beautiful

mdubya

My take: if you want classic tube amp tone, you are getting it already.

Modern tube amps aren't classic for a reason. Fractal has already captured the classic tones for you from real classic and vintage amps.

LaXu

I liked how my Helix sounded through the Fryette Power Station 2 so that might be a potential option. This was using full amp models so the poweramp was mostly amplifying what it got.

Mincer

A tube poweramp isn't bad, but it is pretty heavy, and it further colors the sound. It imparts its own sound on the modeling of your device. I've always just spent the $$ on a great modeling device, and used a PowerStage to amplify it (if I am not going direct). Sounds great to me.

KenG

Why buy an entire tube amp and bypass most of it? Isn't there a tube power amp you can buy and then you're free to mixnmtch guitar cabs to your hearts content for your hybrid solution.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
Tube power amps are liability for a modeler, in general, IMHO, unless you are targeting a very specific subset of tones...

That said Mesa’s power amps are less transparent than Fryette. This is great if you are using primarily Mesa amp models and you want those kinds of tones since the power section is going to be pretty authentic in its voicing, etc...

Otherwise the transparency of the Fryette becomes an advantage. The Fryette amps are generally held in high regard... The LXII in particular can operate in a very flat mode in which case it had many of the advantages of a solid state amp, it also has another mode with a more traditional response. It would definitely be a front runner for me if I were looking at tube power for modeling rig.

Anyway, after trying multiple tube and SS power amps with the AxeFx plus guitar cab rig I have, I am sold on solid state power with the modeler doing the power amp modeling, on the really high end modeling units.

Leon does a pretty good breakdown here on some of the differences, etc:

Good luck in finding what works for you!

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Why buy an entire tube amp and bypass most of it? Isn't there a tube power amp you can buy and then you're free to mixnmtch guitar cabs to your hearts content for your hybrid solution.
Tube power amps with good glass are expensive. You'll need to rack them. Buying a head provides a case and built in backup solution since they also have the preamp section.

FPFL

Silver Supporting Member
Don't waste your time and money.
Never confuse different for better.

My advice?

Practice more. It'll make WAAAY more difference than which power amp you have. You already have some GREAT gear. It is not the limiting factor.

Ejay

e6hnxqmwwgzho6ydlsq8.jpg

It was beautiful

Had one of these also.....great sounding amp....but damn it was heavy...let it go because of that.

If you wanna haul a poweramp, also check 90s mesa and peavey....also sound great...and a tad kinder for your back.

Im gonna repeat my mantra...get a tube combo and stick your modeler in the return. Sounds great, affordable and convinient.

..and your right about modeler into tube is a great solution.

FPFL

Silver Supporting Member
e6hnxqmwwgzho6ydlsq8.jpg

It was beautiful

and you sold it because...
or it just died and you never replaced it because...

I think the bent rack ear on the left of the photo above is a good reminder of why they didn't last except for touring pros...

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
and you sold it because...
or it just died and you never replaced it because...

I think the bent rack ear on the left of the photo above is a good reminder of why they didn't last except for touring pros...
I used a rack rig for two years
Ran the Marshall JMP1 into it with a Peavey Valverb and Lexicon 41 Delay. Boogie 210 wedge and Vox 412

SigXer

My advice?

Practice more. It'll make WAAAY more difference than which power amp you have. You already have some GREAT gear. It is not the limiting factor.

Man, this is the advise I need to follow.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
My recent experience with this is as follows:
AX8 into Powerstage 170 into 2x12 cab onstage for backline = really solid tones, continues to provide versatility and crystal clear FX. Slight "staleness" on the highs and a stiff feel. Overall = B
AX8 into Runt 20 into 2x12 cab onstage for backline = even better; hated bypassing the great Runt 20 tones but just too many cables required for 4CM, etc. LOVE that the Runt 20 has a great cab simulated out and I ran is so that I was wireless to AX8 on floor -> single cable to FX return -> single XLR out to mixer via Runt 20 DI out. Still think about that rig = A-
Same rig as above into Mesa V25 head = maybe even a little nicer than Runt 20 (more clarity?) but the cab clone was not as good as the Runt 20 cab simluated DI out = A
(BTW best thing about Mesa V25 is clean channel and clean channel green mode goosed up into crunch mode! Flipping awesome, if they made a two channel amp like that I'd buy it instantly!
Same rig as above into Marshall SV20, YOWZA! EL34 power section just seemed even sweeter with more girth. Damn shame to bypass the beautiful amp, a wonderful Plexi replica. LOUD AS **** for a 20 watter!
So in short, all 3 of those lovely mini-heads were so nice on their own I felt guilty bypassing their preamp section to use as glorified power amp. But, they were NICE!
In head to head it was very close vs. PowerStage 170 but damn if there isn't a "squish" or give and take that just does not happen with solid state... any solid state.

Right now I would love to have any of those rigs above back, but it's just too much gear to haul in my current situation. Hope this helps!

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member

My advice?

:rolleyes:

OPENYOUREYES

Tube power amps are liability for a modeler, in general, IMHO, unless you are targeting a very specific subset of tones...

That said Mesa’s power amps are less transparent than Fryette. This is great if you are using primarily Mesa amp models and you want those kinds of tones since the power section is going to be pretty authentic in its voicing, etc...

Otherwise the transparency of the Fryette becomes an advantage. The Fryette amps are generally held in high regard... The LXII in particular can operate in a very flat mode in which case it had many of the advantages of a solid state amp, it also has another mode with a more traditional response. It would definitely be a front runner for me if I were looking at tube power for modeling rig.

Anyway, after trying multiple tube and SS power amps with the AxeFx plus guitar cab rig I have, I am sold on solid state power with the modeler doing the power amp modeling, on the really high end modeling units.

Leon does a pretty good breakdown here on some of the differences, etc:

Good luck in finding what works for you!

another rabbithole it seems.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom