Poweramp modeling on the Amplifire

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shred440, Mar 1, 2015.

1. shred440

shred440 Member

I don't know if anyone has asked this question yet. I haven't read through every thread to find out, so I thought I'd just come out and ask it. For those who have new amplifire, I was wondering if you can disable the pre amps and run it like the Torpedo CAB? I seem to remember them saying that it would be able to do this. I know this is still a new device and everyone who has it is probably just playing with the models at this point. but I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to try it out like a TCAB, possibly with a real amp?

2. ecaace

ecaace Member

From a Facebook post

With production firmware complete and AmpliFIRE pedals ready to ship, Studio Devil's tireless Dr. Marc Gallo squeezes in yet another requested feature. Why? Because he can ... and he cares:)
    Two new amp models added to AmpliFire! Power 6L6 and EL34...lets you use AmpliFire as a standalone tube powered guitar cabinet simulator...don't throw out your preamps and pedals yet! Bring them to the AmpliFire party!

3. shred440

shred440 Member

Cool! Has anyone had a chance to try out the poweramps by themselves yet? How do they sound? I own the T cab and I'm very impressed with the poweramp simulation.

4. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Hey shred, I haven't tried the power amps alone yet. In fact now you have me curious to check if those 6L6 and EL34 models are in there. I don't see them in the manual and I'm away from the unit at the moment. Maybe it will be in the 1.1 firmware coming soon if not there now?

I will tell you that when using any amp model, if you go in an edit there is an option to turn the power amp off. I have used Two Notes Wall of Sound III quite a bit and it has a very similar effect. It makes a dramatic difference on tone that is not just volume or EQ. I have been running my Amplifire into a Quilter poweramp then a standard guitar cab. So I was very curious if I should have power amp modeling on or not.

My point is that it is a substantial part of the tone. And although it does not have the parameters of the Two Notes (within the standard amp model), it bodes well for the stand alone power amp models.

5. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

These will be added in a future firmware update according to posts by Studio Devil on FB, and based on other comments from Atomic Amps in one of the many threads about the AmpliFire.

6. shred440

shred440 Member

Oh okay. I think I misread ecaace's post. So it will come later with a firmware update. Gotcha.

7. djd100

djd100 Member

Good news, I'll be interested in them and how they compare to ReValver's and Two Note's?

8. StudioDevil

StudioDevil Member

Hi everyone,

The current firmware V1.0 has two amp models: "Power 6L6" and "Power EL34" that I created in response to requests for a "power amp only" model that came in after we released the manual for preview...they made it in the final hours into V1.0 so you have those to play with immediately.

Along with the damping parameter and presence controls, and the IR modeler of course, you can get the "tube powered cabinet" tone from AmpliFire which works well to complement any preamp for distortion pedal...whether in the FX loop, or driving the input.

Although, after trying our preamp models, I suspect many of you will be tempted to just use AmpliFire alone (we hope ;)) But, we want you to know that you can bring your pedals and effects to the AmpliFire party...all are welcome. AmpliFire is designed to be a part of your tone no matter what you use.

I intend to provide a few more of these in future updates, perhaps V1.1...KT88s? 5881? EL84? something like these for more variety...the differences are subtle at times, but so nice to have as options.

9. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Is there a place where is this selection made in the editor, or are these one of the amp model choices (in the amp block)? I found where you can enable/disable Power Amp Modeling on the Global tab, but nothing for selecting between 6L6 & EL34 power stages. I'm running v1.0.21.4 of the editor (sans AmpliFire until it arrives). Is this the latest editor version?

10. willy_907

willy_907 Member

Thats great support right there, are you guys planning to put more od pedals in future updates? It would be great if you could add a ts808 and a bb preamp model , that would make the amplifire even more versatile...

11. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

12. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I'd vote for KT66s and KT88s - heck all of them. Just make sure you do a Hiwatt amp first! :aok

But seriously it's awesome to hear potential future plans right from the guys who make the technology. Hat's off to you sir! Very much looking forward to see what the future holds for AmpliFIRE.

13. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

Yes and yes please!

14. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

Poweramp sims are something I've been thinking about. I remember hearing that some guys in the 80s liked rack gear for that reason - tube quality, character, and depth, without poweramp distortion.

15. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I just checked on the unit and they are in there as a selection in the Amp model block. So it would logically take the place of that block and it looks like you have the same options as on the amp models in terms of: Treble, Mids, Bass, Gain, Damping etc. Pretty cool! HTH

16. liordino

liordino Member

When using the Amplifire as a standalone tube powered cabinet simulator can I still use the other effects that came after the preamp? My idea is to have a fx chain like this:

Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah -> BB Preamp -> Little Brute Drive -> ClinchFX Pico-PRE -> Kingsley Squire (my pre-amp) -> Amplifire

On the Amplifire I would have everything that came after the preamp: Chorus -> Delay -> Reverb -> Volume -> Power Amp and Cabinet simulator.

Since the pre-amp will live outside the Amplifire (at least in the beginning) I think that I dont need to have any pedals in the FX loop, so I'd like to use it just in aux mode.

Can I do that?

17. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Yes, that is possible. You can even have a boost pedal in there if you like. The tube power amp would just take the place of the amp model. I haven't tried it in this configuration so I don't know how good it sounds or how it compares to the Two Notes CAB but it is possible. You would just go in the standard input and not use the loop on the Amplifire, just like you mentioned.

18. liordino

liordino Member

Thanks!