poweramp to go with my mesa quad preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tristan, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tristan

tristan Member

hey guys,

have been using a quad into my marshall jcm800 50w 2x12 combo with good results. now i have a 4x12 and have too many boxes to carry around!

So i want to sell my 800 combo but wondering on which poweramp to buy with the cash. for size and weight i would like a mesa 20/20 but not sure if it will be loud enough.

my 50w marshall is plenty loud and i play medium rooms in a loud rock band. will the 20/20 do the job?

also can i join the 2 channels to make 40w or something?

ta!

2. JimH

JimH Member

Isn't it 20W per channel - ie 20W stereo and 40W mono essentially? - ie it's 2x20W power amps. Is your cab stereo?

3. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I have a Randall RT-2/50 that is currently for sale ;) It used to belong to our own Scott Peterson.

Anyway, I like the Randall since it's (2) bridgeable or switchable (MIDI or 1/4") 50 watt sections. It has user bias points and allows you to use 6L6's or EL-34's on either side (totally configurable). Also has presence and density controls per side. I found it more user friendly than the Mesa I was originally looking to buy.

If you're interested in it, shoot me a PM.

Stormin!

4. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

the 20/20 will be plenty. i think running in stereo will give you more sound than mono. i could be wrong but i'd go with a couple of 2x12 cabs in stereo. even 1x12s will work, maybe some bag ends...

5. tristan

tristan Member

thanks guys, but i have marshall 1960ax cab. mono only 16ohms. So is it correct that i can bridge the channels to get 40w mono?

if so that would be great! hahah

ta

6. reo73

reo73 Member

The 20/20 will be plenty loud. Tone wise a lot of boogie Quad and Studio Pre players like the old 50/50. It is similar in circuitry to the IIC+ power section.

7. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Well the 295's actually closer to the simul-class IIC+ power section. It just contains a couple of 'em for 95 watts per side. The 20/20's going to be loud but if you want clean headroom I'd go with a 295. The 295 also runs at 30 watts per side. It's a pretty amazingly awesome power amp.

8. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

This would be my recomendation.
    In the late 80's I bought a new Quad preamp and matched it with the 295 power amp. This was running into two Mesa 4 x 12 cabinets.. Boy what a sound.. I still have the rig but don't play it much. It is quite impressive when it gets turned on..
    You can pick up good condition 295's without too much looking for reasonable prices.

9. tristan

tristan Member

hey thanks guys, sweet.

but here is the real dilema... where can i get a 295 in australia? hahah

or even used from the US will do. any good alternatives to ebay?

10. tristan

tristan Member

yeah ok so i saw a 295 on ebay... way over my budget. the 50/50 looks good at just over 500 bux. wont cost too much to import either i recon

11. Occam

Occam Member

No you can't bridge the 20/20...it is very loud for it's size especially if you run both sides. It's a great amp and I usually don't like most Mesa stuff.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Any of the stereo power amps 50 watts or larger are going to be HEAVY. Theres a lot of iron inside them. That said Ive owned a Peavey Classic 50/50 for 13 years. Its a great sounding EL84 based power amp thats given me zero problems.. Ton of clean headroom,presence and resonance controls and bridgeable for a 100 watts out of 8 EL84's. If you dont mind the weight of a steroe power amp its a great choice for less than 500$. Bob

13. vettelt11992

vettelt11992 Member

Alot of mesa 2:90 power amps are going on ebay pretty cheap these days, they are heavy but are loud enough and ballsy enough to make your neighbors pretty pissed of whenever you want....

Very awesome amp....

I used to run my quad with it and it sounded awesome...