Powerblock preamp similar to Ampeg SS?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by doc, Sep 19, 2008.

1. doc

doc Member

I've read that the Ampeg SS series is highly regarded by some metalheads, and that the preamp design is almost identical in the Crate Shockwave head. Anybody know how similar the preamp in the Powerblock is to those amps?

2. doc

doc Member

Still curious about this, but didn't want to waste my 1000th post on a bump.

3. Delta2Brewtal

Delta2Brewtal Member

It's got a Flexwave preamp.

4. doc

doc Member

Thanks for the response. I'm waiting for a reply from LOUD tech by email, but so far no answer. Any engineer types know if the Flexwave preamp in the Powerblock is really close to the preamp of the Shockwave? The Shockwave is also described as having a Flexwave preamp. The thought that prompts the question is that I have read some posts that describe the Ampeg SS-140 and 150 as being great metal amps, and that the Crate Shockwave is by the same designer and extremely similar, so I'm thinking maybe the Powerblock is in line to be also considered as a primo metal amp?

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

The crate shockwave and the PB have the same preamp. I have owned 2 powerblocks and have played the shockwave at gc. Although they say the preamps are the same i MUCH prefer the pb. Although i cant see either as being a good metal amp. The shockwave head i tried was pretty terrible sounding. For a ss metal amp i would definately check out the older randalls.

6. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

I think its the Crate GC120 that you are looking for. Its basically the same as an Ampeg VH140. These amps are occassionally discuss over at the Harmony Central amp forums where a lot of metal players hang. BTW, Most descriptions of the Powerblock I've read refer to it as more of a classic gain sounding amp.

7. Delta2Brewtal

Delta2Brewtal Member

No, it's not a primo metal amp! Gain wise, and voicing, it'll take you up to VH/Iron Maiden type levels. However, it takes OD and Distortion pedals very well. So using pedals you can easily get into decent high gain metal territory.