Powercab Plus vs FOH tone?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by John Mark Painter, Jun 14, 2019.

1. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

To Powercab users...

How do you find your tones translating from Powercab to FOH?

I get sounds referencing on studio monitors. I check them on my Headrush 112 which leans a bit boomy and I clear it up JUST enough using that Headrush reference.

But I am likely to get a Powercab and wonder how it works for dialing in presets.

Thoughts?

2. Medical Toaster

Medical Toaster Member

I just used my Powercab for the first time live this Saturday. I dialed in every preset on the Powercab at a little over half gig volume (3 on the dial) and checked them at rehearsal levels (5 on the dial) using the Flat setting on the Powercab. Every song for both me and the other guitarist had its own preset with different amps so I covered a lot of ground sonically. There were acoustic and electric guitar presets. I balanced the presets using the Orban loudness meter to -23 db for rhythm and as high as -16 db for leads. All of the electric presets needed very little EQ on the board. The acoustic presets were way too bright in the front of the house and the sound guy had to do extensive cuts to get us in the ball park.

My guess is that I probably set the electrics a little dull since i didn't need them to cut when I was playing by myself so Fletcher-Munson effects brought them the cut they needed in a band mix. The Powercab may have attenuated the high end when setting things up in the bedroom for the acoustic guitar so when going to the front and turning up to gig levels it just got way too bright. The other guitarist normally sets his acoustic really bright so maybe it was also from him turning the treble up on the guitar itself from where I had it when i dialed it in.

There was no problem with the one song where I used a Variax acoustic tone. So it seemed to be an issue with how I set up the real acoustic guitar.

3. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Quick question: when you say “flat mode”, you mean you had a cab/IR block in helix?

4. Medical Toaster

Medical Toaster Member

I had the cab/IR block on the Helix. I used stock cabs although I customized the mic/placement distance for all. I am waiting for 2.8 to start implementing the built in speaker models. Obviously the acoustic preset did not have a Cab/IR

5. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Cool, thanks. That what I thought.
    I use mine in speaker model mode. But I can’t wait to tailor each preset to use different models.

6. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I go back and fourth between the modes, mostly the Creamback speaker and FLAT FRFR mode.

I have also used it with two inputs using the Creamback on input 1 and FLAT FRFR on input two for acoustic. It's pretty cool to do both at the same time. Sounds great with my Hamer Duotone which has separate line outs for the humbuckers and the piezo.

7. davidb7170

davidb7170 Member

I've been using my PC plus with my helix floor since April last year, using flat mode and stock cabs via the L6 Link to the PC +, and xlr left from the helix to the foh. The sound guy runs my helix flat in the mix, and is always happy with my sound. I saw a video of a recent gig of ours in small theater venue, and was impressed with the sound, so have to say it does a very good job of it.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

That reminds me, I might want to load my favorite acoustic IR on my PC+.

9. John Mark Painter

Nice

I’m on the fence about getting the Plus, but it keeps possible future uses in play that I don’t currently know that I ‘need’.

10. Medical Toaster

Medical Toaster Member

I have the plus. You only get the Line 6 link with the plus. So after 2.8 drops I won't need a midi cable to control the Powercab. Changing settings is manual on the regular unit. I am also hoping for more speaker models. Seems like there are a lot possibilities not included in the first batch of six speakers.

11. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I've done gigs feeding the Plus and the PA direct from the Floor. That allows me to control the Plus with the big knob and the PA feed with the headphone control. For that function using IRs is easiest - my favorites so far are the LRS Powercab pack. They sound great in LF Flat mode (tilt-up position), thru the PA and on recordings - all with no lo/hi cuts needed. I've got a few clips up on my YT account where I just hit record on a gig patch and it sounds just like I am hearing things in the room.

I put the Plus in tilt-back mode so I'm listening on-axis and the PA matches nicely to that. It only takes a minute or two to tune the stage sound I'm hearing to the FOH speakers with your PA channel EQ. I just set it so they are really similar and then anything I do is reflected well. My goal is to make it so I can walk from the stage to the audience and not really tell what I'm hearing. It's worked well in most of the smaller clubs I play.

To me that is the ultimate - I've replicated what I hear as a player to the audience. It's not some compromise where what I hear is some lower standard.

I think you'll likely be really pleased with the PC + and it's a good utility tool - I use it at home for an acoustic/bass amp (with Stomp as the front end).

All that said I've mostly moved back to using a small combo amp because it's still the easiest for most situation I'm playing.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  12. John Mark Painter

Sounds good.
    I am definitely in the camp of wanting to hear how the audience is going to hear what I am doing (but at a higher more me mix of course....)

MIJLOVER and Guitardave like this.
  13. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Interesting. I want to hear great tone, period. But what the audience hears is the sound guy’s job. I certainly don’t want to listen to it, since I don’t know what he’s going to do with whatever I give him. Nor do I want to worry about it.

14. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Member

I use the modeled speaker mode, mostly the Cream and Green in my PC+. I tuned mine by running a long XLR into another room and playing it loud. I used my wireless to listen to the PC in one room, the PA speaker in another, and tweaked mic type and placement in the PC+ until they sounded the same to me.

MIJLOVER and John Mark Painter like this.