Powered FRFR cab in a Vox AC15 body (1x12 greenback)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MarsGuitars, Sep 20, 2019.

1. MarsGuitars

MarsGuitars Member

Am I crazy? Can we do this?

I recently had a discussion with a friend who is not a guitar player about my recent move to the HXS. They said it sounded great and the FRFR cabs are fine, but there’s nothing like the aesthetic of a classic tube amp on a live stage.

I think they bring up a great point. From an audience perspective they don’t understand the technicalities but appreciate familiarity. They can associate the player with a something familiar, thus lending mental credit to the player themselves. Weird, maybe...but I follow the logic.

What do you think?

2. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

There are a few Full-Enough Flat-Enough cabs that look like amps. Line 6 Powercab, offerings from Friedman or Laney. You could always order a F12-X200 for a cab and pair it up with a power amp. Fx return of any good combo works too

aleclee likes this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Member

I like to split the signal between my Xitone powered monitor and my Marshall 1936 2x12 loaded with vintage Pulsonic G12M greybacks (same as greenbacks). I even leave full cabinet emulation enabled through the greybacks. Splitting the signal is greater than the sum of the parts.

I say go for it. There is no right and wrong, though some of the ninnies around here will wring their hands about it. If it sounds good, or the way you want it to sound, it IS good.

For awhile, Tracii Guns was running a Headrush into the FX return of backline Marshalls for live LA Guns gigs. Now he is pretty much just running the Headrush onto FRFR monitors, but if he is playing sizable clubs running through real guitar speakers, so can you or anyone else.

4. AuntieDiluvian

AuntieDiluvian Member

While I understand the aesthetics, I've long looked for a regular combo or cabinet that is angled directly up at my playing position like a wedge monitor, so that I can hear it properly at a reasonable stage volume.

Honestly, this concept (a flat-front combo-style monitor speaker) takes the worst of two worlds and combines them,

Part of the reason that FOH sound techs hate guitar players is that the standard 4x12 or small combo on the ground (or even a low stand) is WAY too loud out front when you get it loud enough to hear it. Why? Because it's pointed at the back of your knees, not your ears.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    FlyingsCool likes this.
  5. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I don’t think audiences pay attention to a single combo amp or cab on a stage, with respect to whether it looks traditional or not.

To be honest, I’m 52 and have been playing for almost 40 years and only recently came to appreciate the aesthetics of old fender amps. As legendary/iconic as they are, I wouldn’t have regarded them as an aesthetic asset either on stage or in my bedroom. And an old mesa ‘wicker’ amp would make me throw up in my mouth a little.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

I've been thinking about the same thing! We need more FRFR options that look like old school combo amps!

RolandKorg likes this.
  7. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Haven't you used tilt-back legs or stands? They've been around forever.

8. AuntieDiluvian

AuntieDiluvian Member

Yeah, I've used them on an old Super Reverb, and it worked fairly well. How does that differ substantially from running through a wedge monitor?

In the end, the forward-facing combo amp is the WORST thing a guitarist can use from the standpoint of the overall sound of the band. There is a reason that there are so many times that the guitar player gets asked to turn it down; doubling down on that approach just makes matters worse.

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

So much this. Replace the grill cloth with something you prefer and call it a day.

10. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

You can't take a flat transduces, mount it onto an arbitrary cabinet and expect the sound to be linear and transparent: the coupling itself needs to be optimised and it's not a trivial task.
    You may well like the result tho :)

Guitardave likes this.